Tuesday, October 27, 2009

i will praise You in this storm

I learned a hard lesson yesterday that stung like a bee sting, maybe more.

A good friend of mine of over 20 years and I had a major falling out over the past few days that has opened my eyes wide open to the Lord's discipline and grace. Without getting into too many details, this friend of mine has made some poor choices recently that I don't necessarily agree with morally. Since it directly involves her 4 year old daughter, I felt that I had to speak up and tell her I thought she was making a bad decision. To make a very long story short, she became very angry with me and felt as though I was judging her and preaching at her, none of which was the intention of my concern.

We had a very heated conversation over the phone yesterday that left us both with our voices raised and me hanging up on her. After that I felt horrible. I behaved completely wrong and the Lord was definitely convicting my heart. In the midst of me trying to point out to my friend how I felt she wasn't acting correctly as a mother, the Lord opened my eyes as to how I wasn't acting correctly as a mother, wife, daughter, sister or friend. I had failed at all of those at the very moment and it stung hard, very hard. Even though I have known for many many years, it became extremely clear to me that I needed to change the way I deal with confrontation and disagreements. I've always worn my emotions on my sleeve and act according to those emotions rather than my head like I should. I said somethings to my friend that I meant but that I had never planned to say and I also behaved in a way that was completely inappropriate and in a way, childish. It was a painful realization but something that I embrace completely and have decided to hand over to the Lord and help me change and learn to rely on Him during those times when I feel out of control.

Over the next several days I'm going to be in prayer over these things and I'd like to ask my bloggie buddies if you'd do the same. Please be in prayer for the following: 1. That I learn to control my temper and react to problems with a calm more level headed way 2. That I'd be a better wife to my husband, mother to my son, daughter to my parents and mother.in.law, sister to my siblings and friend to my friends 3. That I learn to rely on God's timing and guidance during times of decision making and lastly 4. That I spend more time in meditation on His Word and learning to listen to His voice.

Thank you so much for walking with me during this welcomed storm in my life. I know the Lord with show me His ways as long as I choose to allow Him to work in my life.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man...I've been there before. The real me can be ugly and brutally honest. I often regret things I've said because I got lost in the heat of the moment. I just want you to know you are not alone.

    I'm so sorry again that things got so far with you and your friend. I would hope that after knowing someone that long, they would know that you really did mean well.

    I will be praying for all the things you mentioned. I know the Lord will help you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been praying that I can learn to control my temper too! Maybe we should pray for each other.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Be sure to let me know you stopped by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin