Sunday, April 18, 2010

my craft 'room'

Last summer by hubby was fortunate enough to be able to purchase himself (and if we're being honest, me too) a new flat screen TV. It seemed that most, if not all, of our friends had one and every time we were visiting one of them, he would silently dream of having one himself one day.

So finally the day came and our new TV was here. However, with a new TV comes a new entertainment center since the one we currently had was too small. After watching our new TV on the coffee table for a couple days (it was kinda cool because it felt as though we were in a movie theater with it being so big and so close!) our new entertainment center was here. Then came the challenge of what to do with the old one. I just couldn't part with it because I just loved it so much. I had always wanted an entertainment center that had doors that could close and conceal all the electronic mess and we finally had one but now we didn't have use for it anymore. However, I was determined to find another purpose for it.

Since we don't have much cabinet space in our kitchen I came up the idea of purchasing some shelving and drawers to put in the old entertainment center and use it as back up storage for any over flow from the kitchen. Then my sister moved in with us for a couple months before her wedding and it suddenly became her 'bedroom'. She kept all of her personal belongings in it while she stayed with us and it was actually very convenient since we didn't have an extra room for her to store her things. Even now that she's been moved out for over 6 months, we still refer to it as 'Lisa's room'. It's kind of a running joke over here!

Anyhow, after she moved out, it started to become the place where I stored all my crafty things. It was the perfect size for everything and it hid all my junk. Then after using it for a few months, it became a hassle trying to find the simplest of things because I really didn't have a rhyme or reason for any of it. There were no drawers, or shelves (except for two at the bottom) or anything that resembled organization and then my mother.in.law came to my rescue. She had been over many times and witnessed my unorganized mess and offered to give me some old drawers of hers that she had used to store sewing items along with a shelving unit that she didn't have use for anymore. A couple weeks ago, she came over and dropped them off along with helping me install everything. To our surprise it all fit like a glove! It fit so perfectly that there wasn't even an inch to spare on either side and it looks so pretty! Everything has it's own place and I can find whatever I'm looking for in no time flat! It's awesome!

After everything was put away, I just stood there and started at it. All of my fabric was nicely folded on the top shelf, my cutting board and rulers were nicely stored on the bottom, all the drawers were filled with thread, needles, measuring tapes, hot glue gun, scrap fabric, my white tees for my shop are folded on the second shelf and so much more! And what made it even more perfect was that my new Cricut machine fit right in front of everything and allowed the doors to close completely! Yay!

Here is my new craft 'room'. Isn't she pretty?! I love her!

craftroom

I know it's not the biggest of spaces but it works for now and I can actually find what I'm looking for! I think it's so awesome that someone else's trash can become someone else's treasure!

So what about you? Have you ever been creative with a small space and changed it into something entirely different and cool? I'd love to hear what you've done!

10 comments:

  1. Oh Veronnica, I am sooo jealous! lol! I love that craft room! I wish that I had a place to store all of my crafty needs.

    Glad your 'hubby' is enjoying the flat screen TV and glad your enjoying your new craft room! =)

    -by the way...first comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh, I meant to put 'and glad you're enjoying your new craft room,' not 'glad 'your' enjoying your new craft room.'

    sorry, I just HAVE to correct myself if I spelled something wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks great! My craft area is always a mess!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fantastic idea!! i don't have a craft room at all and always lug everything down from our bedroom to our dining room table and back up again. it's such a pain. and i know if i had somewhere to organize it, it'd be so much easier!! looks great!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful usage! You will really enjoy having your creative supplies available when you are ready to create. Makes the whole process so much more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The space looks great! I don't have a craft room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is wonderful that you have an organized space. I don't really have a space to call my own. But I will some day. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! I dont have a craft room... but I need a craft/gift wrap closet or something! ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband put some shelves up on the wall to house all of Molly's arts and crafts boxes. I love your new craft room, so cute and organized!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your craftroom. I don't have one but desperately need one. My yarn has taken over every extra little space I have in this house, it's crazy!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Be sure to let me know you stopped by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin