Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Three Books

On Sunday afternoon I headed over to the local Christian book store in search of a new Bible study or book of some kind. Even though I have hundreds at home that I can do, I felt like getting something new.

For many years I have been trying to change myself and what it is that makes me, me. This began on an ordinary night while having dinner with friends. I believe it was in 2001 and a girlfriend of mine and my boyfriend at the time (he's now my hubby) went out for a celebration of my new job dinner. We went to California Pizza Kitchen and sat and talked about our jobs and co-workers. I was so glad that I no longer had to go to my previous job because of one person I worked with. I spent basically the entire evening bad mouthing her and pointing out all her 'defects'. While I'm sure it was funny at first (although looking back, it wasn't funny at all) it became too much and my friend commented on it. I don't remember her exact words but it was enough to help me see WHAT I was doing and WHO I was.

Over the next several years other situations arose that continued to open my eyes (and heart) about my character, as a person and as a Christian. I struggled during those years, and continue to do so, with trying to change the negative qualities in my life and personality. I consciously would 'talk' to myself before heading out with friends or family telling myself that I was going to be positive and talk about happy things but in the end I'd head home feeling like garbage because I did the exact opposite of what I planned to do.

In Romans 7:19 Paul speaks of this very thing, "For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do-this I keep on doing."

Why is that? Because we have a sinful nature. We are human, not perfect. But what does God say about this? "...continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." Philippians 2:12b-13

So my basic idea for a book was to look for something that would help me with my character while growing in my faith and walk with Christ. While I found something awesome, I left the store with three great books!

The first one is called "Character Makeover" by Katie Brazelton and Shelley Leith. It's 40 days with a life coach to create the best you! I started it last night and I'm SO excited!

The second one is called "The FIVE Love Languages of Children" by Gary Chapman, Ph.D and Ross Campbell, MD. I liked this book because if focuses on learning how to make your children feel loved. It shows how children desperately need to feel loved and we need to learn their "Love Language". I'm excited about this book too!

And the third one is called "The Christian Mom's Idea Book" by Ellen Banks Elwell. This one is loaded with hundreds of great tips, ideas and activities to help you become a great mom. I scanned through it on Sunday night and one topic I reviewed was about television. It helped me see how much TV is influential in a child's life and how much or little children should be watching it. I'm looking forward to all the fun ideas!

So I've obviously got a lot of reading to do! I'm really excited about the "Character Makeover" book. I feel as though I've finally found something that I can relate to and learn from.

What about you? What are some books you've read that have influenced your life? What are some areas in your life that you'd like to explore? I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! Be sure to let me know you stopped by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin