Friday, May 15, 2009

A case of equal opportunity employer or not?

This afternoon, I met my sister at David's Bridal for the pick up of her bridal gown and to order my bridesmaid dress. As we were getting Evan set up in his stroller she asks me if our mom had told me what had happened to her this morning. Since I hadn't spoken with her yet that day, I said no.

Well, my mom had been employed with Safeway for over 25 years and last November she walked off the job after she finally had enough of the place. So since then, she has been unemployed and looking for a job. There is this small grocery store in an upscale community that she has been talking with in terms of employment. The store manager really wants to hire her but the district manager has been dragging his feet. So after a month or so, she decided to head over there yesterday to talk with the store manager again to see what the status was. After speaking with him, he says so come back the following day (which was today) and they'd both meet with the district manager to discuss the topic again.

This morning rolls around and my mom heads over to the store. She's sitting in this room with both the store manager and the district manager and at one point the district manager asks the store manager to go get a form or something. Just as the store manager leaves the room and closes the door, the district manager turns to my mom and says....are you ready for this??? He says, "I can't hire you because you're old." WHAT?! My mom says, "You can't say that to me, that's against the law." He then says, "Well, I just said it, what are you going to do about it?" and "If you tell anyone, I'll just deny it." And just then, this man walks around from this wall and stares at the district manager. He had heard the entire thing! The district manager says, "Oh, I didn't know you were in here. You didn't hear this conversation, right?" And the man walks out the door and goes and tells the store manager what had just happened. Then my mom says to him, "Do we have anything else to discuss?" and of course he said no.

As my mom walks out of the room they were in, she looks over and sees the store manager talking with the man who was in the room with them. The store manager waves her over and tells her that they need to get rid of that guy and then they'll probably be able to hire her.

I'm so glad that other man was in the room! Otherwise she wouldn't have gotten the job. Can you believe that? He is so going down! He could bring on a huge lawsuit to the company...of course my mom wouldn't ever do that, but man...she could.

So tell me....what kinds of things have you experienced in the work place that left you speechless? This one left me speechless for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! Be sure to let me know you stopped by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin