Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Is this egg bad?

This afternoon I'm making a cupcake cake as a practice for Evan's birthday party this weekend.

Lately I've been substituting egg product for regular eggs because I guess I feel like by doing so, I'm making my dishes a tad bit more healthy, at least I like to think so. On Sunday night hubbs and I decided to have french toast for dinner and I used up the rest of my egg product. So this afternoon when I started taking out the ingredients for the cake, I realized I was out but quickly remembered that I had a carton of eggs left over from a few weeks ago. The expiration date was stamped as May 1 and today is May 19...uummmmm...what to do, what to do? And then I remembered a time when my husband looked up how to see whether or not an egg has become bad or not.

In my jumbled memory, I knew it had something to do with water, a bowl and the egg in question. I also knew that the egg either needed to sink or float indicating it's freshness. So I opted for the latter and decided that if the egg sunk to the bottom of the bowl, it was bad. So there I was with egg in hand and bowl of water in front of me and I dropped the egg in the water.

It sunk.

Phooey.

My eggs were bad. I didn't have all the ingredients I needed to make my cake. Ugh.

Do I pack Evan up into the SUV and drag ourselves into the grocery store for eggs? I think not. I was feeling particularly lazy at the moment so that was completely out of the question.

Let's see, is there anyone I can call who would be willing to bring some eggs to me? Yes. I was feeling that lazy.

Nope. Everyone was at work. So I resolved not to make the cake until later in the evening once I got off from work and I could stop at the grocery store on my way home.

But then I thought that maybe the egg freshness test was the other way around. Maybe if the egg sunk, it meant it was fresh and if it floated it was bad. I opened my laptop and plugged in the question to Mr. Google and sure enough, I was right. It was the other way around.

Yay!

I tested a couple more eggs and they all sunk. They were all good! I could make my practice cake after all!

My next dilemma? How long to bake it for in a pan I've never used and don't have instructions for. This is the pan I'm using:



So I played around with the time and temperature and after three intervals, a temperature drop and 50 minutes, it was done. Yay!

It's cooling in the kitchen right now and can hardly wait to decorate it!

So did anyone out there know how to test an egg for it's freshness? And have any of you out there used this large cupcake pan and found the perfect combination if time and temperature? If so, I'd love to know your secrets!

1 comment:

  1. I would have mixed up the freshness test too! We don't use eggs very much, so everytime I buy them I end up digging for the furthest away sell-by date.

    Mark's aunt used that pan to make a giant cupcake for my bridal shower. I know she used a box and a half of cake mix - but it came out a little dense. I hope yours turned out a little better!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Be sure to let me know you stopped by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin