Monday, June 15, 2009

My diaper bag sewing project....completed!

So last week, I spent three evenings at my mother-in-law's house learning how to use my sewing machine...it was so fun!

I was happy to finally get my paws on my fun fabric and diaper bag sewing pattern that I probably could have continued sewing until it was complete in one day! But of course I didn't...but I could have.

We spent Monday night cutting out the pattern and pining all the pieces together. Which in itself was interesting since I had no clue what most of the sewing language meant. I.am.so.clueless.

Tuesday night was spent sewing the outside of the bag (the bag is reversible). It was so cool to actually see it coming together!

Then Wednesday night we sewed the inside of the bag, the straps and sewed them all together with the outside of the bag. Here's the final result!

This is the first side we sewed:


Inside of the bag (obviously!). There are six pockets to hold bottles/sippy cups, diapers, wipes and anything else a mommy might need.


What's really cool about this being reversible is you can also have the pockets on the outside to be used as a holder for gardening supplies, painting supplies or anything else that you'd need easy access to in a hurry.


I love it! The only thing I'll change for my next one is to add some batting in between the fabric to make it a little more sturdy. It's kinda flimsy right now which makes it a little difficult when adding your belongings. Or I can also buy fabric that's a little stiffer but I just loved this fabric so much that I couldn't help myself.

The day after we finished it, I went to the fabric store and purchased more fabric to make one of these bags for a friend of mine who just had a baby. I'm excited to get started on it and to give it to her! Here's what the fabric looks like...I kinda like it better than the other fabric I bought!



I can't wait to get started on other fun projects and gain a little experience in the sewing department. I hope to someday make clothes for Evan...we'll get there when we get there...

4 comments:

  1. LOVE the bag!! You did a great job :-) And I do love the fabric you chose originally, but the new fabric is SUPER cute too. Hmm...can a girl really have to many bags anyway? Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute bag. Love all the little compartments inside. The fabric you picked out for the others is really cute to. I have the one pattern in a nursing cover. You should make one and have giveaway. would love one of my own. HA HA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments on my blog!

    That bag is stinkin' adorable!! I know how to sew a little -- at least, I can follow a pattern. I should try making something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your bag!

    my roommate bought a panda bag!
    She is just THRILLED with it and can’t put it down.
    hkpanda.freetzi.com

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Be sure to let me know you stopped by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin