Yesterday during my quite time with the Lord, I came across this word.
This is what the Lord has to say about humility:
"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather in humility value others above yourself." Philippians 2:3
I'm in the middle of reading "Character Makeover" by Katie Brazelton and Shelley Leith and Katie painted a wonderful picture of the importance of humility.
"Humility is foundational; if we don't start with humility, any work we do in other areas of character could make us prideful."
I love that statement. After reading it, situations came to mind where I carried a prideful state of mind. I want to make sure that any work that I do for the Lord, is just that, for the Lord. I don't want to take credit for His work through me. That would be "selfish ambition" on my part and I would rather do nothing than boast about my service.
My husband and I are major hockey fans. We love our San Jose Sharks! One of the many reasons I enjoy it so much is because of the wonderful humility the players display.
After each game, a few keys players are interviewed by the local media. Usually the interviewer points out specific parts of the game that the player they are interviewing did well in. Now knowing me, if I was being interviewed and I was being "played up", so to say, I'd be all over it. I'd most likely agree with the interviewer and add additional details to increase the compliments. But not so with the hockey players. They never fail to turn the statement(s) directly towards their follow teammates. They never take the credit upon themselves. To them it's a team effort and while one key player may have contributed the most towards the outcome of the game, they all worked together. I really admire that.
That is something I'd like to strengthen in my character. I want to put others above and before myself and that is my prayer this week.
How about you? What have you felt the Lord was teaching you today, this week, month, year? I'd love to hear it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















I found you while blog hopping(which I'll post about below), but I want you to know I do a similar daily faith journey on my blog. I'm happy to discover yours and will follow it.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Evie
http://prayersncrafts.blogspot.com