Wednesday, November 25, 2009

sharing some thoughts

To blog or not to blog, that is the question.

I've been considering recently the future of this here blog. If I really sit and think, I'm not quite sure what it is that I want to achieve. Do I want to show of my beautiful family, share my daily/weekly experiences, share things I've learned and that I'm excited about, gain readership, actually engage those few followers that I do have or what?

I believe that it's all of these things.

I love blogging. It has opened wonderful doors to new and exciting things that I never even considered. I love posting photos of my son. I love sharing new recipes. I love talking about what God is doing in my life. I love sharing new projects that I'm working on or whipping up in my head and so on. And while I love all of these things, I know that I'd also love to gain more readers or at least evoke some interest from those who've decided to add me to their blog roll.

I've heard from others that the point to blogging is to blog about what you enjoy. And while I agree with that, those same people can not deny that a lot of the joy that comes from blogging is the interest that others show in what you have to say. I know that my blog is visited by many on a daily basis simply by reading my stats but I ask myself, "What is it that brings them here and what is it that makes them leave with letting me know they stopped by or at least comment to let me know they've enjoyed whatever it was I spoke about?".

I can't say that I'm the best commenter. I too visit a lot of the blogs I follow regularly and not leave a comment. But I will say that I do comment...more than I don't. I'll be honest and say that it's discouraging to post something that I think is fantastic only come back the next day to see one or maybe two comments. I want to get to know my readers and follow their blogs as well but how can I know you've visited if you haven't said 'hello'? Now I completely understand if whatever I've posted about doesn't strike your curiosity but if it has I'd love for you to share it with me. I'd love to know that if whatever I've had to say meant something to you, made you laugh, opened your eyes to something new, made you smile or upset you in someway. Anything. Then at least I'll have known I've blogged not only for me but for you, my friends and treasured readers.

With all that said, I want to thank those of you who do say 'hello' on a regular basis. It really means a lot to me that you let me know you've stopped by and shared some of your own thoughts or ideas on something that I've shared. I also want to that those of you who do stop by. Even though I may not know you do, I thank you for doing so anyhow.

2 comments:

  1. I totally get what you're saying and there is nothing wrong, in my opinion, with wanting to feel like what you're writing about is important to someone else. Getting comments does really make a person feel that what they're saying is being validated. I know how much I enjoying reading what other people have to say about what I've written about.

    Before I had a blog, I used to love reading other people's blogs but never left comments. Now that I do blog, I totally understand how important it is to be kind and consistently leave comments for people who's blogs I read faithfully. In my opinion, blog reading/commenting should be a reciprocal thing.

    Anyhow...I just want to tell you that I really think you are such a sweet person. I am so glad I got to meet you in person and wish I had more IRL friends like you!

    Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy reading your blog (and I'm not just saying that because of this post!) Keep up the great work!! Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow:)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Be sure to let me know you stopped by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin