Monday, November 23, 2009

benson and claire

This afternoon I was hopping around a few blogs when I came across a button on a sidebar. It was entitled "Give Hope for Benson and Claire". This spiked my curiosity so I clicked on it. What I found was heartbreaking.


Benson and Clarie are a brother and sister who suffer from an extremely rare genetic disorder called Primary Hyperoxaluria. Primary Hyperoxaluria is a condition in which the liver produces excessive amounts of oxalate, a normal byproduct of metabolism and is found in all of our bodies. However, normal livers produce only a small amount. Clarie's condition has progressed much faster than her brothers and as a result she has been on dialysis since she was 3 months old for 3 hours a day, 6 days a week. She is currently on a waiting list to receive a combined kidney/liver transplant. Unfortunately, Benson will eventually need similar transplants.

Since organ transplants often exceed $500,000, one can imagine the heavy financial burden this family faces. Thankfully Benson and Claire are a part of the Children's Organ Transplant Association (COTA). This is a non-profit charity that helps children in need of life-saving transplants by putting together volunteers to raise funds for the much need transplant-related expenses. After reading their stories and looking at their beautiful faces, I knew I had to give something. In addition to that, I've decided to add their button to my sidebar in an attempt to become someone else in the fight to help raise the money needed to cover their medical costs. And finally, I was given the opportunity to give my donation in honor or memory of someone. This really brought special meaning to me because my father.in.law went home to be with the Lord in 2004 after a long battle with liver cancer, even after a liver transplant. I was also given the option to forward my 'In Memory of' donation to someone as a gift and so I had it be presented to my mother.in.law. I know her heart will be touched in a special way simply because we remembered her husband in such an awesome way.

Now I ask you, would you join me in the fight? Would you be willing to consider even a small donation to help this family through a dual kidney/liver transplant for two children? 100% of all funds raised are used for the kid's transplant-related expenses. If you are not in a position to donate, would you be willing to add their button to your sidebar and blog about it on your blog to help bring more attention to their cause? Even the smallest acts repeat huge rewards. It also goes without saying that prayers are always welcomed and definitely needed!

Thank you for anything you are able to contribute!



1 comment:

  1. What a sad story. I will be sure to check out their site! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Be sure to let me know you stopped by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin