I'm not sure if some of you know of this cute little restaurant called 'Mimi's Cafe' or not but we have one close by and we've gone there several times over the years. Since they serve breakfast all day (I think...I'll have to check on that...) I decided to order french toast on one particular visit. As I scanned through their french toast selections, I came across their cream cheese and orange marmalade stuffed french toast. I wasn't sure if I'd care much for the orange marmalade but I knew I LOVED cream cheese, so I gave it a shot. Boy am I glad I did! It was so good!
Then last Monday, my hubby stayed and worked from home and I promised him french toast for breakfast. Well, I failed on the promise and didn't make him his french toast. So to make up for my broken promise, I offered to make it for dinner. He was all over the idea so french toast for dinner it was. As I planned on what to pick up from the grocery store, the stuffed french toast from Mimi's Cafe came to mind and I decided I wanted to give that a try. I did a little search on Mr. Google for a recipe and came up with the one that just blew my mind, not really....but really.
Upon taking my first bite I felt like I was in heaven...you know, cream cheese heaven and I had to have more! The next morning I decided to use up the left over ingredients and make more for breakfast. My dad popped on over and he had some too. He loved'em!
This of course, is the photo from Christmas brunch. I was too busy eating to take a picture of the first time I made this recipe!

And now without further ado, here's the recipe! Enjoy!
Cream Cheese and Orange Marmalade Stuffed French Toast
8 ounces cream cheese
1 cup orange marmalade
2 tbsp honey
5 eggs
1 cup orange juice
Powdered sugar to taste (although I didn't bother with this ingredient)
Bread of your choice but I suggest getting a sourdough baguette or some sort
Directions:
Using an electric mixer, mix cream cheese, marmalade and honey together, but be sure to keep large chunks of cream cheese.
Cut bread in 1/2-inch slices, it's okay to slice all the way through. Spread the cream cheese/orange marmalade/honey mixture between two slices of bread.
Crack 5 eggs in a bowl and add 1 cup of orange juice, beat until mixed together. Use a non-stick griddle, add butter to griddle and heat up. Dip French Toast in orange juice and egg mixture, and then place on griddle.
Cook French toast on all sides, until a nice brown color. Make sure to cook all sides and let it get hot inside.
Remove from griddle onto a plate. Dust with powdered sugar and garnish with raspberries or any other fruit.
Let me know if you try it and how you like it!





















Thanks for posting the recipe..now I just have to get marmalade:) YUM
ReplyDeleteI'll be bookmarking this recipe for sure! They french toast looks delicious and I actually meant to tell you that in my last comment to you! :)
ReplyDeleteAs for Mimi's we don't have one near here, but I have eaten at one once when I was in Bakersfield.
So cool that you guys had breakfast for dinner. That's something I do a lot over here too!
I see that you are a freelance photogher, one of my classes I teach is photography, have any 'different' ideas I can use? I love to take pictures, and love to take pictures of my horses and 'things' around our farm that I have posted on my blog. Glad to know I have someone out there with same interest! :)
ReplyDeleteYou are so inspiring! Can't wait to try the recipe!
ReplyDeleteoohhh... I love Mimi's! I love their muffins, the honey oat bran one to be exact! thanks for the recipe. I'm glad they turned out so well!
ReplyDeleteFrench toast is my favorite. Thanks for recipe. The best I've ever had was at Cracker Barrel on Sourdough, but this looks like it could beat that.
ReplyDelete