On Wednesday, I'll admit, I cracked. All of the previous days struggles and hassles came to a head and both Evan and I were needing a break (well mostly me). It was a particularly raining, windy day and I was trying to get us out the door to run a few errands. Evan was fighting me tooth and nail while I tried to dress him and get his socks and shoes on. He's started this thing when I'm putting his clothes on, he'll raise his legs up and start to kick me (most often, my boob!) and then tighten his arms real close to his body so as to keep me from putting his shirt on. It's definitely a frustrating time of the day to say the least. So on this particular day, he was doing this thing and giving me a good one at that. I was beginning to get real irritated but I was determined to get out the door. I packed up his diaper bag with things I felt I should bring to keep little man happy and out the door we went. As soon as he stepped foot outside, he took off running the opposite direction of where our car was. He's been doing this quite often, so it wasn't a huge shock. I called after him to stop but like most toddlers his age, he kept on running until he was out of sight. I hurried to lock the front door and took of after him.
And then I saw it.
Rain pouring down and Evan standing smack dab in the middle of a giant puddle. At first, he was just kind of standing there like he wasn't sure what it was. I called for him to come to me, after all, I did just finish my hair and I didn't want it to get rained on! Not only did he not come to me, he began stomping in the puddle. Right then, I realized that his shoes, socks and pants were completely soaked. He kept stomping. I ran out to get him and as I did so, I too stepped into this gigantic puddle getting both MY shoes and pants wet. I grabbed for his arm and pulled him to me. I scooped him up and went straight into the house without picking up my belongings I'd dropped before going for Evan. Once inside, I told him he was in big trouble and I took off all his wet clothes right there in the entryway. All he could say was "Wa wa, Wa wa", meaning, "water, water". Yeah, no kidding.
At this point I was so angry. I took him to his room, plopped him down in his crib, pulled closed his blinds and walked out the door. As I walked towards the family room, I started to cry. I was just so upset. Why does he do these things?!
"Because he's a toddller Veronnica!"
Yeah I know.
(And yes, I was just having a conversation with myself!)
So, I just sat all alone in silence in my family room and just sat there. Kinda going a little blank. I was so upset. I called my husband and told him the story to vent a bit and then decided to check on Evan (it had only been about 15 minutes or so). As I entered his room, I noticed that he had pulled his blanket on top of him and he was knocked out cold. Even the sound of the door opening didn't wake him. He was tired. No wonder he was acting out so much.
I left his room, went into mine, put on my comfies and plopped myself down on the couch and just relaxed. There was such a pleasant silence in the house it was almost comforting. Ahhhh....peace at last. haha!
So anyhoo, obviously we've had a rough week. But I'm happy to say that we had a great day on Friday! We went to the park in the afternoon and while Evan had fun playing around on the play structure and swings, I had fun with my camera. I was really excited because he's now getting to the point where he'll look at the camera for more than a second! It was nice to be able to get some great shots.
We played for a while and then we walked home. It was nice. It was like we had made up from the week we had and just had fun together. It made me happy. And what made it even better was the relaxing we did together with daddy after we got home.
It was a nice day.
Here are some pictures from our adventure at the park:







He's such a blessing....even when he's difficult!





















Those are such great pictures!! I can totally relate. I have days like those too. And why do they always do that when you're running late or really have something you have to do, or when it's raining and you don't have time to spare.....LOL! I'm glad your time at the park was fun though and made up for your week! It's always awesome when that happens!
ReplyDeleteHope you have a great weekend!!
This age can be difficult...but boy oh boy is he ever ADORABLE!!!
ReplyDeleteLove those pics of him.
Just beautiful pictures. Yes, you totally described a typical 2 year old. Parenting is difficult no matter what the age. Good to know that we are all in the same boat.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Mimi
Wow, those are beautiful pictures!!! Children definitely have minds of their own, don't they? My littlest HATES getting dressed {and un-dressed for that matter}. The other day during an all out war to get her dressed for the day, I just looked at her and said "Sweetie, we've been doing this {as in, getting dressed} for about 13 months now. Twice daily. At least. And you can expect for it to continue for the rest of your life. You're probably going to need to make peace with it." I'm not sure that helped. But I think it helped me :) Here's to more sunshine and smile days!
ReplyDeleteso cute! he's adorable. i'm taking pics this afternoon of my sweet friend's little girls. i'm so excited...
ReplyDeletenot doing the business, makes me excited about taking pics again! i can't wait to edit them. . .i'll share on my blog soon!!
have a great sunday. it's gorgeous here!
the pictures above and on this post are super cute love them!!
ReplyDeletewe recently implemented a new form of 'discipline' in our house and it's worked wonders on our two year old. (girl though, i know boys and girls can be different) i'd love to share it with you if you're looking for something. we have cut down on her fit throwing tremendously, and when she does throw a fit, she stops them sooner. i also don't want to come across as a 'know it all' but if you want to know, i'd be willing to share what worked great for us and our kiddos. :0)
i also will email you soon about the review/giveaway on my blog next month!! thanks veronnica!
Sorry it's been kinda rough! Toddlers sure know how to push our buttons!
ReplyDelete