Friday, August 27, 2010

big boy sunday school

After service a few Sunday's ago, I went to the nursery to pick Evan up to head home. When I got there a couple of the ladies working that hour mentioned to me that they had had to put Evan on a time out around three times because he was pushing other kiddos. When I heard this I was in shock because that is definitely not in his nature to push or be aggressive in anyway so I went over to him to have a little talk. I asked him if he had been pushing others, to which he replied 'yes'. I told him that that wasn't a nice thing to do and that he needed to apologize to his 'teachers'. He did (which was so stinkin' cute by the way!) and we headed home.

The next Sunday when I was dropping him off, one of the ladies that had been there the week before was there again. She mentioned to me that during second hour, the two year olds have another class they can attend where they can color and play on the playground. I told her that I'd give it some thought and I'd let her know what I decided to do. After I left the room, I suddenly realized that my baby wasn't a baby anymore. He was growing up before my eyes and just as I had just started taking him to the nursery (over two years ago!) it was time for him to move on. I knew that this day was coming soon as promotion Sunday is actually this Sunday but I thought that I had a few more weeks before moving on with this huge milestone. On the other hand, I was really excited. I knew that he was going to love it in 'big boy Sunday School' and he'd have no problem getting settled into a new classroom. So after first hour, I headed back to the nursery. When I opened the door, I suddenly noticed how much bigger Evan was than the other kids in there. No wonder he was getting impatient! I knew it was time to go to a place where he could interact with others closer to his age so I packed him up and headed across the campus to K4. When we walked into his classroom, we were met with his new teacher and he basically said "See ya mommy!" and off he went! Just like that! It was so cute. I left and headed over to main service and anxiously awaited to pick him up to see how much fun he had.

It was kind of a bummer as Ben hadn't attended church that morning due to working really late, on a Saturday no less, and decided to sleep in a bit before heading over for our brother.in.law's birthday get together later that afternoon. So, my dad, mother.in.law and I headed over to K4 and were greeted with a giant smile and a bag of goodies! He had a Sunday School lesson (his first one! Yay!), a few papers he colored and a lolly pop! He held on to that bag for dear life! He LOVED it! I was so happy and it was just so darn cute seeing him in there. Since I didn't know we were going to be, in a sense, 'graduating' that day, I didn't have a camera on me so I wasn't able to get a picture of him on his very first day at real Sunday School. :(

The next week, I took him to the nursery again for the first hour and was planning to take him to K4 for the second. However, when we arrived, another gal that was there told me that Evan could actually attend for both hours and it was okay that he wasn't potty trained yet. Exciting! So off we went, to big boy Sunday School for both hours! Yay! And again...I had no camera...boo. Anyhow, after first hour, where I help my mother.in.law with the 3rd graders, we opened the back door to the classroom to let the kiddos out, we saw Evan way down on the other end of the playground playing with the big kids! Oh man...talk about another 'oh my gosh' moment! He's just growing up so fast! My mother.in.law and I chuckled to each other and just talked about how much he's grown!

After church that day, Ben was there and we were able to both pick him up and he again had a bag of goodies that he just wouldn't let go! He just LOVES Sunday School! We took him for both hours again last Sunday and forgot the camera....again! So this Sunday, for promotion Sunday, I'll be sure to head out the door with my camera in tow and snap a kazillion (that's a word!) of my big boy on his promotion day from the nursery to real Sunday School!

My baby boy is a big boy now! Where does the time go???

What are your stories of your little ones heading off from the nursery to Sunday School? How did you handle it? Did you get pictures?

5 comments:

  1. I think it helps a little that I am in charge at our church of the younger kids, so when Molly turned 3, she moved to the Pre-school room, but I already knew everything that she was going to do in there! But I was really excited for her, because our Nursery has a ton of babies right now, so it's boring for her. Hooray that Evan did so great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool that he did so well and that he is loving the change. Makes them growing up a little easier when they enjoy it:) My baby is going to kindergarten this year and I am wondering where 5 years went.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never took any pictures but the youth girls at church are always taking pics of my girls in their classes and posting them on facebook for me! :) lol yes, they do grow up and move from class to class very quickly. It is fun for us as Children's Pastors because we get to see them grow from little babies and then find them sitting in children's church one day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome that Evan "graduated!" Audrey has a hard time being without Alyssa at church so dropping her off can be a bit rough for us. Glad Evan did so well and I know what you mean about seeing them grow before your eyes! Audrey's talking so much now and I am amazed daily at how much she's changing and growing! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i WISH we had a children's ministry at our church. we go to a home fellowship and a few months ago our pastor decided to cut out the children's church part. which was just us taking turns watching our kiddos (who are the only little ones there) but it'd be SO SO SO SO SO SO nice to get an uninterrupted church service!
    yay for being a big boy. :) and i LOVE that picture from your shoot. her eyes are truly amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Be sure to let me know you stopped by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin