I had just finished vacuuming and started on the dusting when I heard Evan running down the hallway. The running ended with a thud and sudden screams. I dropped the duster and ran down the hallway where I saw Evan standing holding his mouth. I picked him up and thinking that it was just going to be one of those "Oh, it's okay, let me kiss it" kinda things I pulled him away to take a closer look and to my horror I saw blood, a lot of it. I rushed to the bathroom where I looked into his mouth and saw teeth hanging down past the others and a lip that was growing by the second.

My dad was due to show up at the house any minute so I grabbed the nearest towel, held it to his mouth and rushed to the kitchen to call him. Once he arrived, I called Evan's pediatrician and was asked to bring him in right away.
We arrived at the doctor's office and once his doctor saw him she recommended that he see a dentist. She didn't think that he needed stitches or anything but his teeth looked pretty banged up. We spent the afternoon trying to find a dentist that carried our insurance and who could take a toddler for an emergency visit. I finally found a great place in Sunnyvale where the staff was very nice and helpful. Unfortunately, we found out that we had never added Evan to our dental insurance so he wasn't going to be covered for the visit. Talk about a major bummer. Luckily, the office gave us a discount and charged us a reasonable amount for the emergency visit and one x-ray.
The dentist looked at the x-ray and Evan's mouth and determined that the roots weren't broken and that the tooth could be saved. He did say that sometimes the tooth will discolor a bit due to the trauma but other than that, he should heal fine and the swelling of his lip should start to go down within 24-48 hours. I was so thankful that everything would be fine. I was beginning to get sad that he may be toothless until his permanent teeth grown in in about 5 years! That's too long to go without his front teeth! But thankfully that wouldn't be the case and I was happy about that!

The only thing now is how I'm going to get food into this already very picky eater. He's unable to use a sippy cup because it causes him pain but using a straw has seemed to work so far. He needs to use his back teeth to chew so I've been trying to explain to him not to chew with his front teeth. So far Goldfish crackers have been the winner and some applesauce. We'll see how tomorrows turns out. We gave him some Tylenol just before bed so I'm hoping that tonight doesn't turn into a sleepless night.
A question for all you mamas out there who've had little ones injure their front teeth, how did you feed them and what? I'm in need of suggestions!!!





















I don't have any suggestions. Dustyn is a VERY picky eater and hasn't hurt his teeth. Sorry! Poor little guy. That looks really painful. Hope he is getting to feeling better soon!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOh wow - that's a whole lot of excitement for one day.
ReplyDeleteOwwwie!!! :( I hope it feels much better in the next few days!!
ReplyDeleteOh my! I hope today has been a better day for Evan. I would have been so freaked out if that were me!
ReplyDeletewe've had teeth issues here and my girls just ate soft stuff for a few days. applesauce, yogurt, soup and ice cream. :)
ReplyDeleteAwww, poor little guy! I hope he feels better very soon. Give him a hug from me!
ReplyDeleteBless his heart, I am so sorry!! That looks so painful, but he looks like one tough little guy!! so glad to hear that tooth could be saved, what a blessing! So glad he is ok!!
ReplyDeleteOMgosh girl I have been there. It is so scary and yet you are so sad for them. Stunt Man had to have stitches and we just prayed that his teeth tightened back up. They did. Phew Hope that your little guy starts to eat for you...it was hard for me to come up with soft food too. yogart and applesauce.
ReplyDeleteGlad him and his teeth will be ok!
ReplyDeleteSorry for the deleted comments (above). My computer did something funny while I visited your blog yesterday. I'm sorry to hear about Evan. I'm sure that was awful for everyone involved. I hope he feels better soon, and by looking at that smile, I'd say he's on his way. All I can recommend is a cold towel and some ice for a little bit. I would continue to feed him his regular foods, if he'll eat them. There is also Pediasure if you feel he's not getting enough nutrients. I think I'm thinking of the right thing? I wish you guys the best of luck!
ReplyDeleteOh poor baby! I hope he's doing better! So glad the tooth could be saved!!
ReplyDelete