Since my last post, we've gotten a better look at the path of treatment that mom is currently receiving and that she will continue to have in the future. If you remember from my last post, I mentioned how we were unsure of whether or not my mom would spend a few days at home before being transferred to another hospital for her surgery. I was concerned about this because I wasn't sure how we'd be able to care for her during that time. Well, the Lord provided a way for her to remain hospitalized during those few days while we wait. This is such a blessing as she just needs a lot of care right now.
Since she's been in the hospital, I've learned that she is now a diabetic and requires insulin to control her blood sugar levels as well has having really high blood pressure. Both of these are being treated which is awesome. My mom also has suffered with epilepsy since childhood and she's now being treated for that as well. She's just being really taken care of which makes me feel so good. She hasn't taken care of herself in several years and it has become a heavy burden to my family. To know we don't have to worry (at the moment) is such a relief. It really goes without saying that you've just really got to take care of yourself. Don't let minor health problems grow to become major ones. My mom is living proof at what happens when that's allowed to happen.
Another praise and answer to prayer is her aftercare. Yesterday afternoon while I was visiting, her hospital phone rang and I answered it. It was my uncle, my moms brother, who just so happens to be a broad and care home nurse and has been for many years. He was calling to offer his services for my mom after she returns home after her surgery. Can you say 'Praise the Lord!'? If that's not an answer to prayer, I don't know what is. And not only is he going to care for my mom, he's going to move in with them and, get this, pay rent! The Lord just provided in a major way. There was just no way for my parents to afford aftercare for her not to mention that my dad is going to be getting a new job soon and it would have been impossible to do both. So this is just a major answer to prayer. So thank you all for praying, it's working!
This evening we found out that her surgery is scheduled for this coming Monday, early in the morning. They will be going in to remove the tumor which is located right between her eyes. According to the doctor, it's been growing there for a very long time. One interesting thing I found out was that he's not so sure that my mom didn't actually have a stroke. He said that tumors like this don't usually have sudden onset of symptoms but ones that appear gradually. So that makes him think that she may have had a stroke as well. Maybe caused my the tumor and/or her high blood pressure. We're just not sure. But what we do know is she needs to have this tumor removed. It's going to be a tricky surgery and be one that's not without it's own risks. So if you could continue praying for the doctors and my mom that would be wonderful.
So, I think that about covers everything I know right now. I'll be heading back to the hospital in the morning with Evan to visit for a bit. Ben was able to stay home both Monday and Tuesday which was really helpful in taking care of Evan. Being with a toddler, we can only spend short amounts of time in the hospital with him so we'll go in the morning and then again in the afternoon.
Here is a picture of me, my mom and my sister a few years ago on Mother's Day. We were headed to The Cheesecake Factory for lunch. This is during happy (healthy) times. I look forward to having those kinds of days again. I love you mom.

Thank you all again for your kind comments and prayers. I will post updates as I receive them.
On a much much lighter note, tomorrow is the first playoff game for our San Jose Sharks! We're going to be watching the game at home and I plan to make some fun treats to celebrate. I'll be posting about those soon!





















I'm so glad to hear she's doing okay. I've been keeping her in my prayers!
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy to hear that prayers are being answered. And thank you for the reminder that we need to take care of ourselves, not only for us, but for our family too......I have always been horrible about not seeing a doctor when I need to. I will continue to pray that everything goes well with the surgery and that she will feel much better.
ReplyDeleteSo glad your mom is being so well taken care of - and YES God hears our prayers - praise HIM for taking care of the details. Still praying for your mom!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the back up on MckMamas site ... I am now going to surf your blog and see all about you!
ReplyDeleteI will be praying for your mom, you and your family!