Wednesday, June 1, 2011

playing with fondant!

So I just wanted to hop on real quick to share my newest creation!

This week is a very busy one so I apologize that I won't have a lot of time to come visit most of you or even post here. Evan's birthday party is this Saturday and I'm just swamped with stuff to do! Last night I tried my hand at a cake covered in fondant. I decided to try out a fondant recipe with marshmallow because I've heard that most fondant you purchase at the store doesn't taste well. I found a cute little website called Cake Journal where I got the recipe from. It's a cute little website and I can't wait to take a better look around to find other fun things! The recipe was really simple and it was super easy to do. I was really proud of myself with how it turned out since it was my very first time even attempting it!

The idea behind the cake looks like this:

                                                                       (image source)

Isn't it just darling?! So just for my practice run, I only used red but when I do the real thing, I'll be incorporating black and white as well. Here's how mine turned out!

cake1
 
cake2
cake3

It's a little lumpy and when you look at it from the sides it's leaning a bit but overall I think it turned out pretty good for a first try! I had always been so intimidated with fondant and never thought I'd be able to do anything like this but it's actually fairly easy.  I watched a couple videos on YouTube for some pointers and those seemed to have helped out a ton. Those videos can be found here and here.

So anyhow, that's what's been going on around here this week! I have some other fun goodies I'm going to be making for the dessert table and I'll try to post them as I get them done.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

6 comments:

  1. I love it! You did a great job!! I love that marshmallow fondant! Yum! Good luck getting everything ready for the party. I hope you have lots of fun! We're doing Kaylee's party Saturday too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three words: You. Have. TALENT. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! That looks great!! I have wanted to try fondant too, but always chicken out :) Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did great!!! Honestly, I thought it looked perfect and never would have thought it was lumpy or leaning unless you said something. I so want a slice of that... MMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! I just left a HUGE comment. Mostly saying that this cake looks amazing and that I have been absent for a number of reasons but still read here & there... Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Be sure to let me know you stopped by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin