
Happy New Year! Wow, it's been a while since I've been here. Lots of things going on, lots of fun things!
For the first time in several years, I wasn't anxious for the previous year to be over and the new year to start. I remember last year and being quick to take all signs of Christmas down and start fresh for the new year. The previous was basically the same. But this year, or last year if you wanna be technical, I waited a few days and got things put away the day before New Years Eve. Since I was already in the garage, I went ahead and put out my Valentine's Day decorations which gave a nice change of scenery around here.
As you can see from the above picture, I've added a chalkboard to the kitchen. Now this isn't any ole chalkboard, nope. I am proud to say that I actually made it! I purchased the frame from Michaels and popped out the glass and spray painted it this pretty turquoise color. I bought some chalkboard spray paint along with some press board I got at the hardware store, cut it to size and assembled it. I just love it! For Christmas I just wrote 'Merry Christmas' on it and then changed it to what you see here just in time for New Years! I made the bunting with my Cricut and just hot glued some twine across the top to hang it. I think it adds a nice touch!
So for 2013, I'm hoping to be back to this blog more often. I know I've said it before, but I'm feeling more inspired as of late and I've got some crafting I'd like to do and share here. I know that most of my usual readers have fallen to the wayside because of my absence and I hope to build that back up to where it was before, if not more so.
Today, I wanted to share a little project that I just finished this morning. I got the idea from a fun tutorial on Pinterest that I found and thought I'd give it a try. I'm pleased with the results so far but due to the nature of the project, I won't find out the true success of it until about 6-8 weeks, you'll find out why shortly.
This project was originally going to be made as Christmas gifts but with all the busyness I had, I just never got around to putting all the pieces together. Last week I purchased the last two pieces and got it all done today! Yay!

I made some vanilla extract! It was incredibly easy, insanely easy actually. I found this pin and followed the directions. It was really fun!
So I'm 35 years old and it was my very first time actually purchasing any type, other than rubbing, alcohol at a store. I've ordered it at restaurants but never at a store. I'm an alcohol virgin, BIG TIME. So it was interesting having vodka in the house. Both the hubby and I don't drink like at all but I do on occasion when out with friends. So we joked that we were becoming hard core alcoholics! Not!
So the only ingredients you need to make your own homemade vanilla is:
Vodka - unflavored
Vanilla Bean - I purchased my from the bulk bin at Whole Foods
That's it.
Well, unless you want to put it in a fancy jar like me, then you can purchase yourself some here.
I made up these little labels and slapped on the front and back. The backs just say what the ingredients are and that they need to steep for 6-8 weeks before use. And the cool thing about it is, when you run out, all you have to do is add more vodka and the beans will continue to make vanilla! Isn't that rad?!
Anywho, I just thought I share this fun and easy project. Let me know if you give it a try, it's really fun!






















Those look like fun. I, for one, am glad you are back!
ReplyDeleteSo nice to see an update from you!
ReplyDeleteI adore the chalkboard - it's super cute.
Welcome back! What a fun pin!!
ReplyDelete