Wednesday, July 30, 2008

To swaddle or not to swaddle?

E will be 10 weeks old on Saturday already! Seems like we just brought him home. It's amazing how many changes they go through in such a short period of time. From newborn to size 1 diapers, from newborn to 0-3 size clothing, from 3 to 4 ounces of formula, from screaming to contentment during bath time...I could go on and on.

E spent his first night in his big boy bed (aka...the crib) on Monday night and he looked so tiny in there! He somehow managed to squirm his was way from one end of the bed to the side of the bed...being swaddled! Seeing that, it got me to thinking that maybe he needed to start sleeping without being swaddled. I worried that he might start to roll over and once on his belly he wouldn't be able to roll himself back over or be able to lift his head up because his arms were tied up in the swaddle. So last night was a test. We put him to bed around 10:30 sporting his "little lamb" pj's and unswaddled. Usually when we put him to bed for the night he'll sleep for 4 - 5 hours at a time (more if we're lucky!) so when he woke up at 11:30 fussing around I knew he was uncomfortable not being all snug and comfy in his swaddling blanket. I went into the nursery and tried soothing him with his passy and rubbed his belly. That seemed to calm him down so I headed back to bed. About 15 minutes later, there he was fussing again and I knew I didn't want to be up and down all night so I caved in and swaddled him. I know that he'll have to sleep unswaddled at some point but at which point do we inforce that? Will being swaddled stunt his ability to roll over or anything else? I thanked my lucky stars when only swaddling quited his fussy cries but now I'm beginning to rethink that. He just loves to be tight and snug when he's sleeping. His flayling arms and legs upset him and wake him up at night. So we've got to decide soon how we're going to deal with this. He has his two month checkup on Friday so hopefully the pediatrician will have some good insight.

I'll be praying that the up coming nights will not be filled with sleepless spells!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! Be sure to let me know you stopped by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin