So I've taken on a new adventure, well maybe not too new, but new for now.
In 2003 I decided to do something fun and earn a little extra money by becoming a consultant for PartyLite Gifts. While I had a fun time and received TONS of great PartyLite product for free, I decided after I got married that I wouldn't continue my direct sales business.
Fast forward to today, I'm a new stay at home mommy and need to bring home some extra income to make ends meet. So rather than leave my wonderful hubby and beautiful son by working outside my home, I've decided to return to direct sales and once again become a PartyLite consultant. My first show was on Friday August 29th at my sisters house and I got there about an hour early to put my display together and to chit chat for awhile with my mom and sister. The show was to begin at 7pm and a little after 7 the first guests started to arrive. The first two guests were friends of my sister whom I had never met before. I introduced myself and then waited for the rest of the guests to arrive. A few minutes later I started my introduction which included why I joined PartyLite. In my condensed version, it went something like this, "Hi, my name is V and I'm L's sister. Thank you for coming tonight. I have a little gift for L as a little thank you for hosting a show and having us here tonight. I became a PartyLite consultant because I recently became a stay at home mom and need to bring home some extra money to make ends meet so that I can continue to stay at home with my son. I really don't want to put my son into day care and have him be raised by strangers." I'm sure there was more but I'll stop there.
Well the party went on as usual and around 9:30 I headed home. Now here I am today, Tuesday September 2. L came over this afternoon to hang out and help me with some shopping at Costco. As we left my house we started discussing her show and what not. I spoke of my frustration with one of her guests in particular because I had asked her to fill out her door prize slip 3 times and finally after the third time she gave it to me....incomplete. Whatever. So I was explaining my frustration with L and how a simple "yes" or "no" to the questions was all I asked for and simply leaving them blank was annoying and rude. L then begins to tell me that that particular guest had been offended by something that I said at the show. I guess my whole "I don't want my child raised by strangers" remark offended her and to the point of going home and complaining to her husband about it. Now her husband works closely with L's fiance and the day after the show, he asked L's fiance what was up with his sister-in-law, aka: me. He than began to say that I offended what's her butt by my comment or whatever. So L's fiance mentions it to L and then L mentions it to me. So after a few minutes of being annoyed and irritated I finally realized that what I said could be taken wrong even though I had not intention of offending anyone. After all it wasn't like I said, "I don't want to put my son into day care and have him be raised by strangers because you know any parent that would do that is a horrible parent and really shouldn't have children." (Which by the way, I don't think that...you do what you've gotta do.) Yeah, that's a little over board, but you get the idea. So I started to feel bad and really wanted to apologize. But I can't. Why? Because if this guest found out it got back to me, let's just say, all hell would brake loose. Apparently this person isn't a very easy person to get along with and even if I did apologize it wouldn't do any good because her opinion of me has already been set and nothing will really change her mind.
It's been several hours now and while I haven't been sitting here dwelling on it, the subject has popped into my mind a few times this evening. I still feel bad and want to apologize but I'm going to get over it. But I am glad it happened. I now know that this can (and did) be construed wrong and I definitely don't want to do that. I'd never do something that would intentionally hurt someone. I can now move on to my next shows and leave out my "raised by strangers" story.
Sheesh....some people are so touchy! Okay...I'm done now!
(Ps...I apologize if anyone reading this was also offended. Please know that my intent wasn't to offend but to make fun of a retarded situation and make some laughs. If your child is in day care, that's great for you and I'm not saying it's bad or wrong. Everyone does the right thing for their particular families and I'm all for it....okay enough with the disclaimer!)
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















Thanks for stopping by my blog! I feel the same way you do. I picked up my friends child from daycare the other day and it was awful. The kids were just playing aimlessly and then the "teachers" sat them all down and lectured them... yuck. I am thankful that I am able to be home for my kids each and every day!
ReplyDelete