Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Worry

So I've been worrying off and on about something for the past several days.

Ever since Evan was born, I've been trying to make a conscience effort to do my monthly self breast exams. I've chosen the first of every month to do this so that it helps me to remember when the last time I did it was. Well I forgot to check on April first (I guess the first didn't help!) and when I would remember I'd be in a place where I obviously couldn't perform it. (Imagine me whipping out my bosom in the middle of Target! ha!)

So on Thursday night while lying in bed watching FRIENDS, I remembered it and started the exam. I first started with the left side and moved over to the right. As I moved my fingers over the right side, I felt something. I continued on with the rest and then went back to it. I continued to feel and move around it and became a little alarmed because I didn't remember feeling it in the past.

The next day I mentioned it to my husband and he checked it out and said he felt something too. I started to get worried. My sister just so happened to be over so I had her check it out too. She said that it didn't feel like anything to her other than just normal breast fibers and whatnot. She once felt something in one of her breasts and had it checked out and it was nothing. So after that I stopped worrying so much and let it pass.

Then over the next couple days I would rub my hand across it and I continued to feel it. I thought that that was odd because I'm sure I accidentally run my hand or arm across my breasts many times throughout the day and I've never noticed this before. And so the worry started again.

I had my husband check it out again last night and he can still feel it. He said that I should make an appointment with my doctor just to be safe. So I called this morning and I have an appointment scheduled for next Wednesday morning at 9:45. I sorta feel like I can't wait that long. My worry gets the best of me at times and I don't want to spend the next several days swimming in an ocean of worry and fear.

So for the ladies out there, what about you? Have you ever felt any type of lump and got it checked out only to have it turn out to be nothing? Or maybe it was something? I need some advice and comfort.

7 comments:

  1. I'm a worrier too so I totally know what you're going through. The imagination can turn a papercut into a life-threatening injury!

    Really, though, you probably don't have much to be worried about. Most breast lumps aren't cancerous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...I know. I was reading that online and I know I shouldn't be doing that!

    Thanks for the optimistic attitude! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a dr. tell me to go get a what do you call those things when the press your boob into a pancake to xray it.. well they would not do it because of my aga MOMogram that's it so any way long story short.... got a sonogram done and found out I have fiberous tissue in my chest and this is typical of my family.. humm unbenouce to me.. and I had a week of sheer terror because the dr. did not explain it to me and freeked me out so go have it checked and don';t worry until you know.. I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. saw your post on sits! i would definitely get this checkd out, if only to put your mind at ease. all kind of things in your body change after babies! it is probably something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you are having that checked out! This is something to take seriously. I will be praying for you. You are doing the right thing. If it is nothing, you will have peace of mind. If it is something, they can do something about it and God will take care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have an award waiting for yo on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for coming by my blog...the name thing's really funny!

    I'm glad that you're getting it checked out. It IS probably nothing, but it's best to be sure. I must admit, I don't do self-exams like I should. I'm young, but that's no excuse.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Be sure to let me know you stopped by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin