Monday, November 2, 2009

i'm published!

About three years ago I submitted a recipe to Gooseberry Patch to see if they'd add it to one of their upcoming cookbooks. Two years went by before I finally heard something. Last summer a nice woman from the company called asking for more information about the recipe. I was so excited. Since I just had had Evan, he was only a few weeks old at the time, it took me a bit to get back to her. I left her a voice mail with the answers to her questions and that was it. I didn't hear back from her or anyone else from Gooseberry Patch. I thought that maybe I had taken too long to respond and they moved onto some else's recipe.

Last night the situation came to mind and I decided to do a little investigating. Oh and I should make a side note that Gooseberry Patch gives a free copy of the cookbook that contains the recipe you've submitted, if it's chosen.

Photobucket

After doing a few searches, I came across a recipe with a similar name to the one I submitted. It was in a cookbook titled 'Fast Fix Meals'. Usually on Amazon.com you can look through the pages of books if they've been added to the website but unfortunately, this cookbook had none. I decided to make a trip to the bookstore today to check it out. I first went to Barnes N Noble and they didn't have it so when I got home I looked at Borders online and found that the nearest location likely had it in stock. Yippee! So after the gym I headed over there. I walked straight to the cooking/baking section and scanned the titles.

And there it was.

I snatched it up right quick and immediately went to page 214 (the website the I searched indicated the page number). I couldn't get there fast enough and finally I was there. I looked at the top right corner and I saw it. My name in published print, even spelled correctly, along with my city and state. I was so excited! I first called my husband tell him the good news. I could hardly believe it! But then I wondered, why hadn't I heard from them and even more, why hadn't I received my copy of the cookbook? Hmmmm....

I decided to buy it so that I could show it off to my family and in the mean time email Gooseberry Patch. I'm not sure if it will get me anywhere but at least I'm published!!

So you may be wondering what is this recipe you're talking about? How can I get my hands on it? Well, you could go out and buy your own copy of 'Fast Fix Meals' or you could just stay right here and get it from me. So here goes...

Super-Good Peachy Cake*

1 6oz container cottage cheese
2 3oz packages peach gelatin mix
1 8oz can crushed pineapple; drained
1 6oz package frozen peaches; thawed and divided
1 6oz baked angel food cake
1 6oz container frozen whipped topping; thawed

In a medium bowl, mix together cottage cheese, gelatin mix, pineapple and 2/3 of peaches**. Set aside. Place cake on a cake plate. Frost cake with whipped topping, making sure all sides are evenly covered. Spoon cottage cheese mixture over top and down center of cake. Arrange remaining peaches on top of cake. Any remaining fruit mixture can be spooned over individual slices of cake. Serve immediately. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

*Original name of recipe was 'Super-Good Peachy Dessert'
**Original recipe called for whipped topping to be mixed in with cottage cheese mixture and a separate container of whipped topping be used to frost the cake

If you give it a try, let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! That kinda stinks that they had to go and make those changes and then not even tell you that they had published the recipe. That is so exciting though. Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome that you're published - congrats!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Be sure to let me know you stopped by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin