Thursday, December 3, 2009

baking and cooking itch that can't be relieved

This week I have really been under the weather and have spent two entire days inside in my jammies lounging around on the sofa with my blankie and pillow. (Wow, that was a long sentence!) So yesterday I really wanted to do something productive and bake and/or cook something.

I pulled out one of my harvest cookbooks from Gooseberry Patch and looked for anything that sounded yummy to me and that I thought I had most of the ingredients for. (That was another very long sentence...I'm on a roll!) I saw a recipe for 'Maple Nut Bread' and decided that was going to be my something baked. I pull all the ingredients into a bowl and mixed away. After 1 hour in the oven it was show time. I pulled it out and gave it a nice slice and took a bite.

I was not impressed.

It was so bland, no real flavor at all. I was so bummed. It smelled so good when it was baking and I just knew it was going to be good. But it wasn't. I guess I should have been suspicious when the recipe didn't call for any sugar of any kind. Well unless you call maple syrup sugar but in that case, I used sugar free anyway.

So that one was a dud. Then it was on to the cooking part of my itch. I was in the mood for soup so I searched through the soup recipes until 'Pumpkin-Apple Soup' caught my eye. I looked through the ingredients and realized I had everything except for the half in half so just decided to use Evan's whole milk. I put everything together, it smelled so good and I couldn't wait to dig in. And so when it was done, I did.

Again, I was not impressed. Actually I was grossed out. It tasted horrible. Gross. Disgusting. Eww. And there it was, a whole large pot of pumpkin-apple soup, that I didn't like. What a waste of ingredients that I could have used for something I know I actually like. Darn.

Anyhow, I ended up making something safe for dinner, Spaghetti. Spaghetti never let anyone down, at least no one I know. To help satisfy my 'something baked' itch, I broiled a sour dough bread loaf from the store and topped it with butter and garlic powder. And it was good.

Mission accomplished or whatever.

This morning I baked chocolate chip cookies. They smelled up the house so good and they were tasty too!

cookies

Thank goodness for spaghetti and chocolate chip cookies!

1 comment:

  1. Bummer about the recipes not working out! You are right though...can't go wrong with spaghetti and chocolate chip cookies! :) Hey...since you bake a lot, maybe you can share a good gingerbreak cookie recipe with me. I've been dying to make my own gingerbread cookies every year and have a gingerbreak cookie cutter just waiting to be used. I think Alyssa would have a great time decorating the cookies!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Be sure to let me know you stopped by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin