Wednesday, December 2, 2009

christmas photography

I've been contemplating over the last week or so on a new *project* that I'm excited yet nervous about. Since I've really taken up a fantastic interest in photography this year, I thought that it would be fun if I offered photography sessions with my family and friends for their Christmas portraits. I haven't figured out all the details yet but I'm working on it and hope to have them all ironed out by next week.

Right now I have a few things that I'm curious about and wanted to see if any of you had any insights.

Let's see....

1. If I should charge and if so, what for and how much?

2. How long should the sessions be?

3. Should all edited photos be handed over to participants in the form of a CD? If so, should there be a charge for this?

I know there's more but these are the basic questions I have right now. Any input would be great.

As I mentioned above, I'm also a little nervous about this. I'm nervous that the photos won't come out right and I'd disappoint those photographed. And I'm nervous that my nervousness will show at the sessions and I'd run out of pose ideas. I know I should just push these worries to the side but I can't help but let these thoughts creep in. Any ideas about this would be great too!

Thanks everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, this one is a tough one. I have no clue about rates and stuff like that. I will have to get back to you when I can think about it. What I will tell you is that I wish we lived nearby you so that you could take our girls' pics. I never scheduled a portrait session for this year although it's something I do every year, so I'm bummed we won't have a pic for this Christmas for cards. I'm almost thinking about just using what I can find of what I've taken already here and there and then making a card at Costco. Never have done that before and I'm not even sure if that's the route to go.

    Anyhow...sorry for rambling. I hope you do really well with your portrait taking. The pics always turn out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a lot of pricing last year when I was wedding planning. Around here (NJ), the going rate is about $200 for a 2 hour session for engagement/trash the dress/bridal portrait pictures - which I assume is closest to what you'd be doing.

    Different photogs handled the pictures differently - some gave a CD of edited images with "home rights" use, others had you pick a few and they'd give a certain number of 8X10s, 5X7s, etc and there was always an online gallery where you/others could order from.

    For our engagment pictures, it was about a two hour session, we paid $125 and got all of the pictures on a CD. Our photog was just starting out, her prices have increased a little since then.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Be sure to let me know you stopped by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin