Tuesday, February 23, 2010

i'm in love!

Months ago a bloggie friend of mine posted about a fabulous new find she had found. Ever since, I've off and on thought about purchasing one for myself but time and time again, I thought, "I could make that.", so I never actually made a purchase.

I entered into a few different giveaways for one of these but unfortunately I never won. Boo Hoo! haha! So you can imagine me excitement when I came across this awesome tutorial on how to make one! It looked simple enough so I bookmarked it and thought about it for a few days. On Thursday night, I decided to have a little 'me' time and went over to Joann's Fabrics to snoop around. On my way, I thought of the tutorial and it was then that I decided I was going to finally make my own camera strap cover! Yay!

I found a couple fun fabrics, made my purchase and headed home all excited! I got all my materials together, set it all up on the kitchen table (I don't have a craft or sewing room yet so this is what I have for now! ha!) and got busy. The first cover I made, I made exactly according to the instructions on the tutorial. The darned thing was too small! I was really bummed because it took me like almost 2 hours to get it finished and it was already past midnight. But I was determined. I sat down with my template and made a few adjustments. I decided to add a 1/2 inch more around the entire template for a little more room and went ahead making the second one. This time it didn't take near as long as the first since I basically knew what I was doing at that point. I got it done in no time flat! After the last stitch, I removed the strap from my camera and slipped the cover on effortlessly. I was so freakin excited! It fit and it looked fabulous (that's my new favorite word...fabulous!). I actually did a happy dance in the family room. Since it was WAY past midnight at this point, obviously no one else was up in the house to share my excitement with so I just hopped around and giggled to myself. It was actually really fun! hehe!

I couldn't stop looking at it. It was so, so pretty! I couldn't wait to show someone. Why oh why must us humans sleep? haha! So after the little party I held for myself, I cleaned up my mess and went to bed. The next morning, I stared some more. I couldn't believe I actually made it...and it actually looked good! My sister came over to hang out around noon and I just couldn't wait for her to get here so I could finally show someone! When she got to my house, I actually just had my camera sitting on the couch. I wanted to see if she'd notice it and ask where I got it. But she didn't. So after a few minutes I said, "So, look what I made!" She really liked it and wants me to make one for her too! Yay! I have a bunch of fabric left over so our cameras can be twins! haha!

So anyhoo, without further ado, here's my camera strap cover! Oh and I had to take these photos with my point and shoot because after all, I couldn't take a picture of my camera wearing it's strap cover with the actual camera...believe me, I tried! I'm weird, I know this.

IMG_0418

IMG_0416

Isn't she pretty?

So...I was thinking of maybe doing a giveaway for one of these pretty little ladies (or gentlemen) but was wanting to know how many of you out there shoot with a DSLR? If enough are interested, I'll do the giveaway! So let me know!

So yeah....I'm in love....

10 comments:

  1. LOVE it!! i saw your comment on april's blog about how you did one and had to come see! i shoot with a d90 and have a strap cover on my birthday list, because i too have never been lucky enough to win one!! one thing i did see on one once, was a pocket on the end of the strap for your lens when you're shooting. i thought that was a great idea because i always am losing my cover. great job. and if you did a giveaway...and only i entered. it'd be okay! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Awesome job! I have to use our kitchen table too! I love it when things actually turn out the way they are supposed to, and more importantly when we are proud of them! I have a Sony camera, so it's a smaller version of your DSLR, so your first strap would probably fit my camera :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A giveaway would be awesome! We just got a DSLR (love it!!) and I tried to win a couple of these either without any luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!!! I would've totally done the happy dance too. Isn't it so fun to make something and have it turn out like you want?! That IS fabulous!! I love it! And I really, really need one too. I'm like Kate, I have a Sony DSLR and the strap is not comfy at all. Your strap looks super comfy! You know, there are people out there who have an entire business just making these straps. Maybe you could add those to your shop?! I'm proud of you! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um...YA! I would just LOVE a camera strap cover :-)
    It would make me soooo happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so proud of you! The camera strap turned out awesome! You are making me really wnat to get a nice camera now! Too bad that I'm stuck with my point and shoot for now! :(

    I think doing a giveaway would be an awesome thing to do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I have is a point and shoot right now but I have plans to get a better camera in the future!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great!! I too noticed that mine was a titch too short... but I wasn't able to make another one :) I am dealing with the shortness. The tutorial I followed instructed me to sew the cover RIGHT TO the strap... I didn't do that, because I didn't want it to be permanent. Your fabric is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i would love to give one of those away if you decide to start selling them!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Be sure to let me know you stopped by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin