The other day, I was doing a little search on Craigslist for anyone selling a Cricut machine. To my surprise someone just down the street from me was selling theirs for only $70! According to the ad it would come with everything except the two cartridges it comes with. I didn't think that this would be a problem really because I could always buy a couple at the store.
I met the gal at a mall close by and did the exchange. When I got home, I opened the box and I was happily surprised. It was in mint condition. It was as if it had never been touched, not even a piece of dust was on it. My hubby plugged it in to see what it would do and everything was great. After making dinner and cleaning up the kitchen, I decided to head out to purchase a couple cartridges so that I could try my hand at my new little toy. I actually said as I was getting out of my car, "This is so exciting!". haha
Anyway, I walked into the store and went straight to the area where all the Cricut items where. I immediately saw all the available cartridges and my mouth just about fell open when I saw the price tags. $89.99 friggin bucks for a cartridge? You've just got to be kidding me! Even if I could afford it, there is no way in the world that I was going to pay those outrageous prices. Well, needless to say, I was quite bummed. Here I was with a basically brand new machine that is completely useless to me. Now I understand why the gal kept the cartridges for herself......that evil genius.
So I came home empty handed and just stared at a pretty machine that's sitting on my kitchen table wondering why I'm not using it (okay, I know an object can't really think, but it's helping me get through this! haha!)
Do any of you own a Cricut? How many cartridges have you purchased and have you been able to find any great deals? Do you know of any company other than the Cricut makers that make cartridges for this machine that are more affordable? I really want to know....I AM going to use this machine! I AM!
Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















:( I totally knew where this post was going as soon as I started reading it!! I have one and yes, you can never afford to buy the cartridges full price! Michaels has them half off at times or they'll have a big sale. So does Hobby Lobby (don't know if y'all have one of those in CA). Alot of the craft stores won't let you use their coupons on cricut items either, so you have to wait until the cricut items specifically go on sale. But, there are lots of online places you can find them for around $30. Just google it and you'll see. Ebay is good too for finding brand new ones on sale.
ReplyDeleteI only have 5 cartridges, but that machine is invaluable to me for making my t-shirt letters and patterns. And when Evan gets in school, it's awesome to be able to print letters for their poster projects they're always having to do. And you can buy vinyl and make the wall vinyl stuff like all these people sell of different sayings and pictures. Unlimited possibilities!! So, I know they're high, but just look for them on sale......for what you can do with it, you really will save money (and time)in the long run!
I forgot to mention.....Walmart carries cricut stuff too much cheaper. Not as cheap as online, but if you need something in a hurry, they're usually cheaper than the craft stores.
ReplyDeleteLOL, I was just going to suggest that you ask Kristin all about what she does because I know she has a Cricut! Looks like she already left her imput so that is great!
ReplyDeleteHope you're able to find some good deals out there!
Yeah, I have a Cricut and the cartridges are killer. Most of the ones I have I got on black friday at Micheals for $30. I'm pretty sure they have that sale every year (not that it helps you now...).
ReplyDeleteWalmart also has mini cartidges for cheaper - around $30. My suggestion is to look up online the shapes that are on a cartridge before you buy them - I always try to pick ones I'll get a lot of use out of, rather than something I'll only use to scrapbook one special event.
i LOVE the lyrical letters cartridge. :0) i'm not sure how much it costs. but it's one i use a lot! search craigslist for cartridges too, i got a few of mine not even used, for way cheap off of there. talk to others for their recommendations about which they like and don't like. i honestly have 15-20 cartridges...so you could just move to wisconsin and we can share!! my friend and i also do that. we try not to buy double and then swap and share!! i'll see if i can think of any sites i've seen them for cheaper on. hobby lobby, if you have them, have great sales when they do have sales on them. my sister got me some for christmas for cheap from there.
ReplyDeleteOh no! What a disappointment :( I've longed for a Cricut, but sadly cannot afford one. Maybe someday :) Hope you find some inexpensive cartridges soon!!
ReplyDeleteI don't have one, but I can sense your frustration! That stinks! Hopefully you can find some cheaper than that!
ReplyDeleteI don't have one girl, but I am so sorry for all that frustration!! It stinks! hoping everything works out!
ReplyDeleteI have a cricut, but I only have the cartridge that came with it and two other ones. But I did get the two extra ones for only 34.99 each on Black Friday. There are deals out there, but you have to keep looking. Try ebay. Also, there is the George cartridge that the lady should have given you with it. Every machine comes with that one. Ask her about it.
ReplyDeleteI hope you are able to find something cheaper.
ReplyDeleteI don't have one but I've heard they are expensive!!! Maybe you can find some cheaper ones somewhere! Maybe craigslist again or on ebay or something.
ReplyDeleteI haven't had my cricut long, so right now I only have the one it came with and one other. I actually found the one I bought at Walmart on clearance for $35 not too long ago. I also know there is a program for your computer called Sure Cuts Alot that is only around $90. I think it takes the fonts on your computer and makes them work on the cricut. I'm not really sure how it works, but it is probably worth researching a little! Thanks for stopping by my blog today and for following along:)
ReplyDelete