Friday, November 19, 2010

family & food fridays! whole wheat pancakes

So, after a little thinking, I've decided to change 'Family & Food Fridays!' to a once a month post. I found that I made a lot of the same dishes during the week so I didn't really have something new every week to post about. Plus I think this will fit me better as I tend to get caught up in day to day activities and I forgot to post on Fridays sometimes.

Anywho...so for this month's 'Family & Food Fridays!' recipe, I decided to share a breakfast recipe that I tried this morning actually. Since I'm going back to my pre-lazy.sit.on.the.couch.eat.anything days I wanted to find a healthier alternative to my favorite breakfast meal.

Pancakes.

After a little search on Mr. Google, I found this simple recipe that I thought sounded good. Plus I already had everything in my pantry! Double bonus!

I also decided to add a little something of my own to it to make it a little more interesting and add a little texture. A brand new Whole Foods just opened up down the street from my house and I made a trip yesterday afternoon. It was so pretty inside and I could of stayed all day if it weren't for a hungry child in my shopping cart!

Anyway, they have an entire isle dedicated to tons of different trail mixes and all kinds of nuts. I decided to pick up this one type called Women's Vitality Mix or something like that. It looked and sounded cool so I picked up about a 1/2lb. And that's what I added to the top of my pancakes along with some cut up banana and syrup. I've got to say that this was a great breakfast and had a wonderful presentation! It definitely tasted like health food but I really enjoyed it and it really filled me up. In fact I couldn't even finish my plate I was so stuffed. I highly recommend giving it a shot!

wholewheatpancakes (Large)

Whole Wheat Pancakes with Women's Mix and Banana
original recipe can be found here.

Ingredients:

1 cup + 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp apple sauce
1 cup - 2 tbsp water or low fat soy milk
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
optional: 1/2c chopped walnuts or 1/2 blueberries or other fruit

Instructions:

Combine all dry ingredients, mix together. Add apple sauce, water/soy milk until batter drips from spoon but it's runny. Optional: gently stir in nuts and/or fruit

Heat griddle sprayed with cooking spray and when water thats flicked on the surface sizzles, it's ready.

With a small ladle (about a 1/4 of a cup) put batter onto griddle and cook until bubbles form and break on surface, flip.

Keep cooked pancakes warm in microwave on a plate lined with paper towel.

Heat your syrup, if desired and pour over top of pancakes. Then top with your fruit of choice.

Enjoy!

Family Activity:

This Friday the hubby and I are going on a date night and little man is spending the evening with grandma. Ben and I will have a fun time alone together and Evan and grandma will get to play! Win win!

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

For more 'Family & Food Fridays!':

The Adventures of Miss V

3 comments:

  1. YUM! Those look delicious and are making me hungry. Ha! Have fun on your date night!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like it should be in a restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Be sure to let me know you stopped by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin