Monday, November 1, 2010

left over Halloween candy recipes!

last night after taking Evan trick or treating, we stopped at Target to buy some candy to hand out at home. I was excited because this would be our first year living in an actual house (we first lived in an apartment and then a condo) and I really wanted to experience the handing out candy thing. Although I do have a funny story about handing out candy when we lived at our condo.

It was probably our first year there and I went ahead and purchased some candy just in case any kiddos from our building came by. Our front door faced the inside of our building that was a gated community and our back door faced the street. We used our back door as our front door almost 100% of the time since it was easier to park on the street and walk up the steps to our patio than to park in the parking garage, ride the elevator and walk down the long hallway to our actual front door.

Anyhow, it was probably our first year there and I was waiting to hear our door bell ring. After an hour or so, no bell was rung, I heard some kiddos laughing and talking on the sidewalk just outside our patio door. Being excited and probably a little desperate, I opened the back door and walked out towards the stairs. Once I got to the stairs I said, "Hi! I've got candy! You want candy?!" My SIL, Kathleen and her then fiance (now husband) Mark were there as well as my hubby and they all started laughing! They thought it was so funny that I wanted to give out candy so bad that I was willing to beg someone, anyone, to come and get some from me! Looking back on it, it was pretty funny and probably something I wouldn't do now, but it gives us a little chuckle from time to time when the situation comes up in conversation!

So, back to last night, I picked up a few bags of candy at Target and dumped it all in a large bowl. Turns out that that was a wasted trip (and wasted money) because only one, ONE, group of kids came to the door! Needless to say, I was a tad bummed and now stuck with a truck load of candy that I definitely don't need! So this morning as I was watching the 'Today' show, they had a segment on what to do with your left over Halloween candy. The gal doing the segment had some fun recipe ideas and I'm excited to try them out and perhaps come up with something on my own! I hope to be able to pass out my homemade Halloween candy treats to family and friends so that I don't have to eat it all!!!

Here are a few that I think sound yummy and fun to make!


Photo and reicpe courtesy of Stephanie Gallagher, About.com Guide



Photo and reicpe courtesy of Stephanie Gallagher, About.com Guide


Photo and recipe courtesy of Southern Living


Photo and recipe courtesy of Maris Callahan at In Good Taste


I could go on but I think I'm getting a sugar high just from all these ideas!! haha!

How about you, have you thought about what you'd like to do with your leftover Halloween candy? Are you going to just dump it in the trash, donate it or make something sweet? I wanna know!

6 comments:

  1. We ran out of candy the other night. So many kids were out trick or treating it was nice to see.
    Ok I just gained about 10 pounds reading your post. LOL. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great ideas. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had candy bark before and it was SO GOOD!!!! I like how they used oreos in it too. Very clever :-) We have a ridiculous amount of candy left over this year so I am definitely going to have to try these recipes. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!! Too bad I couldn't handle it and ate all my leftovers already!!

    Your blog is SO cute!
    Excited to follow all your adventures now, swinging by from the blog hop.

    The Survival Mama

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same experience at my first apartment, and then at our new house last year. This year, I didn't buy any candy and we just scrounged up something for our one piddily little trick-or-treater. Seriously, where are all these kids going trick-or-treating at?!

    Those recipes look yummy! Can't wait to see what you try. I've had the pretzel kisses before and they rock! You can use a small Reese's or a Rollo, too. All delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had way too much left over too!! All of those recipes look yummy!! I love candy bark! I'm actually tired of candy, from eating it all the time. I probably gained 10 lbs! :D

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Be sure to let me know you stopped by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin