At Michaels I saw this really adorable Valentine's garland with several different ribbons tied around a red satin rope along with some other cute Valentine's day related items like hearts and whatnot. I believe the price was around $12 or so and I didn't really want to spend the money on it when I knew it was something I could make myself. So, I used the last bit of a gift card I received for my birthday for JoAnn's and I purchased everything I needed to make it.
That night as I sat on the couch watching The Golden Girls (one of my fav shows!) I cut all the spools of ribbon into about 5-6 in strips and tied them all onto the red satin rope I purchased. I also added some cute red glittered heart ornaments I found at JoAnn's and then hung it up. The total time spent on this craft was maybe 2 hours. Two hours. That's it! Super deduper easy!


If you'd like to whip one of these up for yourself, here's what you'll need:
1. 6-7 different spools of Valentine's Day related ribbon (reds, pinks, whites, hearts, sparkle, love, etc.)
2. 3 yards or so of braided or twisted satin rope in red, pink or white
3. Any other fun Valentine's Day items to hang on it like hearts
4. Scissors
5. A nice comfy couch to sit on
6. Your favorite television show or movie to watch
7. A place to hang your new pretty garland!
Instructions:
1. Cut 5-6 inch strips out of all the spools of ribbon
2. Once you have cut all the strips, begin tying each strip to the satin rope in one easy knot, making sure to mix up the ribbon throughout the length of the rope so there is a variety.
Also, did you notice my new fancy mirror above my fireplace? I got that last Friday at Walmart for a whopping $39! I'm so in love it's not even funny. I'm talking LOVE. I love that it's perfectly square and balances out well on our narrow fireplace. I didn't even hang it on the wall either! I just propped it up on the mantel and secured it to the wall with some left over velcro I had lying around. Me likey!
Oh and that red porcelain jar like thingy on the right side was purchased a week or so ago at Home Goods for $3.50! It has a couple chips on the back side which is why I'm thinking it was marked down so low but I could live with it since the chips were on the same side and could be easily hidden.
So far, Valentine's Day is shapin' up nicely over here! I also put out my other Valentine's Day decorations and I think the little touches of red here and there look so nice.

Do any of you decorate, even the teesiest bit for Valentine's Day? How about crafts with the kids? I'd love to know!





















That came out super cute! I love it!
ReplyDeleteWe have a few Valentines Day decorations, but I'd been stalling on getting most holiday decorations because I knew we'd buy a house soon. Now that we have the house, I'm going to be decorating more for every holiday!
That is cute garland. I don't usually decorate. Yours is so cute!
ReplyDeleteThat turned out SO cute! I have some Valentine's decorations I need to dig out. I was realizing it will be Baby Robbins's first holiday, so I want to do something. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the inspiration!
I love that garland, great job!! And nice mirror!! I want to do some crafty things with Molly...I am excited about the outfits I got the girls for V-Day!
ReplyDeleteHaha....me likey that mirror too!! I need one!! :) I can't wait to have a fireplace, but my hubby is putting the TV above it. I could still do garland though!
ReplyDeleteI love your garland you made. That's super cute!
Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! Love your Valentine garland - very cute!
ReplyDeleteOh your garland turned out so cute and it looks pretty easy to do. I like your new mirror and jar on the fireplace too.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing
Unfortunately, I do not decorate for V-Day, but I do take lots-o-pics! :-) This garland makes me want to decorate, though! Gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteHmmm...I wonder why my e-mail isn't showing up. I recently changed my word verification and e-mail (to show), so I'm not sure what else to do? I guess I can leave my e-mail every time I leave a comment? Should I subscribe by e-mail? Clueless. Hmmm...still wondering what's going on.
Thank you so much for the kind words, V! They meant so much to me! And, you are VERY welcome for each comment. Like I said, I love your blog and your little family is so stinkin' cute!
Andie
http://zimmermanlife.blogspot.com
andie.zimmerman@insightbb.com
Uber cute!! You have done a great job xoxo
ReplyDeletehttp://rawpotatoes.blogspot.com/
Love the v-day garland...I am going to make it using fabric scraps! I will send you a pick when I have it done! Thanks for the idea!
ReplyDeleteSuper cute! I have tons of fabric that I could use for this....now only if I had a mantle :(
ReplyDeleteOn another note, I'm with ya with holding the boys. LJ is ginormous for his age, and I'm a midget. This combo is making it the time I have to hold him pass all too quickly. You are so right, we MUST cherish each moment!
Here is the finished product of my fabric/ribbon valentine's day garland at http://mummynuggle.blogspot.com/2011/01/valentine-garland.html
ReplyDelete