May 24, 2008.
The was the first day I laid eyes on my son. It was the most beautiful day of my life, other than my wedding day, and I'll cherish it until the day I leave this world. Even though we are only three shorts weeks away from Evan's third birthday, three years just don't seem to have zoomed by. But they have.
When I was pregnant with Evan, I had several friends who were expecting alongside me and it's been a joy to watch all our little kiddos grow up and experience the same things. From rolling over, to crawling, to walking, to talking and so on, I've watched it all happen and it's all been so wonderful. There has been one thing however, that's been lingering on in the back of my mind. It's nothing I completely look forward to but an inevitable milestone all families must come to. Often sooner that we'd like.
Lately, I've been watching a lot of the kiddos Evan's age move on to preschool. Really? It is that time already? I'm just not ready for that yet. However, I know my husband and I need to start making decisions on school and such in the very near future. So we've been talking every now and then about it and what we think would work best for our family. I went to public school since kindergarten while my husband went to private school for the majority of his educational years. Since before we even had children, we discussed that we'd really like our children to attend a private Christian school. The one my husband attended is in our same city so we've discussed on whether or not we'd send our children there. Since I'm a SAHM, we realize it'd been a large stretch financially to actually do that so that's when our discussion turned toward homeschooling.
At first it was just a light discussion but as I see more of Evan's friends head off to preschool, we're really considering going this route. I'm planning on starting home school preschool this coming September when all the other kiddos head off to school just so we can somewhat follow the regular school year. I know I'd really like to teach Bible alongside traditional academics so I'm really looking forward to it.
For all you home schooling mama's, where would you suggest I go to look for curriculum? How have you set up your home to teach and what kind of schedule do you follow? I'd really like to start looking and planning now so that I'm prepared come September. We currently live in a three bedroom home with a living room. I'd like to set up the spare bedroom but if we decide to start adding to our family, I'd obviously have to come up with something else. I'd really like to hear your stories!
Monday, May 2, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















So I know I am not a home-schooling "Mom" but I AM home-schooled.
ReplyDeleteMy brother and I actually attended public school for a few years (I went K-1st and myother went K-3rd). The first two years of being home-schooled I absolutely h-a-t-e-d it. I begged my mom to put me back in public school, but she did not even consider doing that. However, after the first year or so, I LOVED being home-schooled and I truly cannot imagine being put back into the public school system.
We started off (and still do!) a home-school group called Classical Conversations which is the classical way of teaching (hence, the name of it). {classicalconversations.com}
Another great thing about home-schooling, is that you can do so much more even during the day because YOU set the schedule, YOU choose the amount, because YOU are the teacher! Home-schooling also gives a much better education than the public school system (totally not trying to put down or come across as rude to the public school system).
I just finished up Challenge B (part of the home-school group, the site explains everything) and did Logic, Math, Literature, Chemistry, Latin, etc.
I actually do Saxon math (I am not sure which grade Saxon starts at) and I know a ton of folks do Math U See and Abeka. ^_^
I wish you the best of luck! I'm not disciplined enough to homeschool, but I do get aggravated that my girls are totally not challenged, even in the gifted classes in public school and I often think I could do a much better job in a quarter of the time.....and our district is one of the best in the state. Lynnette Kraft would be a great one to ask advice on. Jenilee also started homeschooling a couple of years ago and I bet she has some tips too.
ReplyDeleteHow fun. I wanted to home school Dustyn, but I just do not have the extra time with all of Carsyns therapies and stuff. Good luck with everything.
ReplyDeleteI use My Father's World and LOVE IT!!! I can't say enough about how great it is and it is one of the most reasonably priced curriculums out there. My girls enjoy it and it clearly tells me what to do each day! It is easy to use and when you purchase the deluxe package, you have everything you need for the year (except math and language arts - they let you choose your own for that because all kids learn differently in those areas but I do love the singapore math that they offer on their website separately from the big curriculum packages) If any of that made sense, lol... hope that helps!
ReplyDeleteThere is a homeschool hop going on at Hip Homeschool Moms today and you could find lots of info there!! hiphomeschoomoms.com
Good luck!! I have no advice on this since we are not home schooling, Molly is going to K4 in the Fall, but we did pre-school stuff at home this year to prepare her.
ReplyDelete