Remember that movie "Back to the Future"? It was on TV the other night and as I watched I couldn't help but think about how nice it would be to actually go back in time. Not because I'm not happy with my life or because of some horrible thing I had done but because of what I know now.
I graduated from high school 13 years ago and at that time, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Sure, I'd say that I wanted to be a teacher or write children's books or what not, but those weren't real passions that I held. What I really wanted was to just get a full-time job and make some decent money and grow from there, which I did. I'm very proud of my years in the real estate industry, moving from receptionist to real estate assistant to escrow administrator and finally to office administrator. I was proud of the salary I had despite the fact that I didn't have a college degree. God had guided me through those years and blessed me with a wonderful job, husband, home and now a family.
It has been almost two years since I left the real estate field and as of right now, I don't plan to ever return (Lord willing). I feel that I got all that I could out of those jobs and now it's time to move on, turn the page, start a new chapter. I believe that new chapter is full of exciting and rewarding things.
I've always had a desire to create and make stuff. I even thought of interior design at one point in my life. I love starting a new project and seeing it to completion. So as I've been a stay.at.home wife and mother these past 14 months, I've had the chance to really dive into a few different areas that I've gained interest in. I've picked up sewing, my mother.in.law guided me through my very first sewing project and it turned out good! I've dabbled in digital scrapbooking and have love it! My husband recently purchased me a new camera and I've enjoyed taking fun and interesting photographs and playing around with them in Photoshop. And most recently, website design. I've purchased a few books on this subject and have asked a few designers how they got their start in the business and quite simply, just jumped in, so to say, and started to teach myself a few things.
At first glace, HTML and CSS code look intimidating to say the least. But as I looked closer, I realized it's not as confusing as it looks and I've started to recognize what certain things stand for and what they do. I have a long way to go but so far I'm having a fun time. I believe I've finally found what I've been looking for. If I had a time machine like Michael J. Fox had in "Back to the Future" I'd go back to 13 years ago at my high school graduation and tell myself that 13 years from now, I'd have a major interest for graphic and web design (although I probably wouldn't know what I was talking about since the internet was fairly new at that time, at least to me). But at least I'd have a direction to go in in regards to college. I'd tell myself to stay in school and major in graphic arts or something in that field. But of course, there isn't such a thing as a time machine nor can anyone change the past (but it's a nice thought!). So where do I go from here? I'm so glad you asked.
I've decided to start a little side business designing blogs. Of course for right now, since I'm learning and such, I wouldn't be charging for my services. I just want to gain some experience and build my clientele. Oh, and have fun! So, if you or anyone you know is looking for a new look send them my way and I'd love to help them out. And now that I think about it, we'd be helping each other out. I would be helping them with a new blog design and they would be helping me out with experience.
So there you have it, Miss V is starting her very own business. I'm in the middle finding a name for myself so if you have any clever ideas, send them my way!
Thursday, August 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















I don't have a clever name suggestion, but I have a blog that could use a face lift. We should get our pro wedding photos in a few weeks, and I was hoping to use them for a new, newlywed design. If you're interested, I'd be happy to link back to you/name drop a lot!
ReplyDeleteGood for you! I hope you are super successful in your new business. If I didn't already have a blog designer I would definitely hire you!
ReplyDeleteP.S. That was fun getting to read a little about the process that's let you to where you are today. I also feel blessed that the Lord has guided me through the years and I am hopeful that there will be even bigger things in store for me too!
Thanks Kate! I'd be honored to redesign your blog! Let me know when your pics are in and we can talk about what you want! Yay!
ReplyDeleteVeronica-thanks so much! I'm really excited! How'd your baby hat business start off? Was it slow at first or did it just take off? I'd love to know!
I am starting a blog and have been looking for someone who may be able to help me come up with a design!
ReplyDelete