In addition to that, I've also decided to make the favors. So in an attempt to make sure that all goes well, I've been doing a little "practice makes perfect" over the past week or so.
After two batches of sugar cookies with home made white icing, I think I've finally (well not just me...the bride-to-be had a lot of input) come up with the final look of the favors.

My sister's new last name will start with an "L" so we thought that it was only fitting to decorate the cookies with that. The only thing is her first name also starts with an "L" so we'll probably have to do a little explaining!
Then this afternoon after a little trip to the grocery store, I followed the "Red Velvet" cupcake recipe in my new Martha Stewart cookbook. I think Red Velvet cake is my new favorite! It's so so so yummy! On a side note, I went to The Cheesecake Factory the other day with my mom and dad and I ordered their new Red Velvet cheesecake....let me tell you how good it was...Yum-O times 1,000!!! Maybe more!
Anyway, after I got home from work this evening, I whipped up a batch of the cream cheese frosting on page 303 of the cookbook and voila!

In my honest opinion, I think the cupcakes are a little too oily for my taste. The recipe calls for 1 and 1/2 cups of veggie oil...ouch! I may cut back a little on the next go 'round. Hopefully this won't mess anything up! The frosting, however, turned out delicious! I loved it! (Remind me to tell you the story about the time my sister-in-law, Kathleen, and I made a cake from scratch, including the icing...let's just say, it was a little crunchy!)
For those of you who have attended a bridal shower recently, what kinds of cake were served? Where there any favors? If so, what were they like?





















I love the way the cookies came out!
ReplyDeleteFor my shower they didn't make one big cake to cut - they made each table a tray of assorted desserts - cupcakes, mini cheesecakes, cookies, brownies, blondies, fruit salads - it went over well because everyone could find something they liked.
My favors were chocolate covered oreos (yum!) in a little, heart-shaped baking dish.
V! I wish we lived closer to each other... we could totally open a bakery!!! Then our husbands couldn't blame us for their weight gain ;)
ReplyDeleteAs for favors, I've seen those cute individual tea bags (the one in a box, the brand is escaping me at the moment) used with the couple's name attached.
Have fun!!!
The treats you made look yummy!
ReplyDeleteI haven't been to any showers in a long time, so I'm sorry but I don't have any thing to share with you about that.
Have you checked out Kelly's Korner lately? This week's show us you life was all about showers.
I love the cookie design...so cute! And the colors are great!
ReplyDeleteI love your ideas!!! Do you think you can maybe help me... I have a birthday party coming up, my daughter's 1st birthday! If you can't I totally understand = )
ReplyDelete