Tuesday, February 16, 2010

happy birthday kathleen!

Last Thursday was my SIL's 29th birthday and we all got together on Friday night to celebrate. What made it extra special was that my hubby's uncle who lives in Texas came to town for a visit. We hadn't seen him in several years so it was nice to have a chance to sit and visit with him.

Remember this post when I said I was working on a special project but that I couldn't reveal it just yet? Well the time has come that I can finally show off what I've created and I'm so excited! I follow a cute little blog called 'Little Birdie Secrets' and they always have such fun stuff to inspire me. They featured a cute segment on Valentine's projects recently and one in particular caught my eye. I really really wanted to make it but since I don't have a mantel in my home, I wasn't sure where I'd hang it. And then I remembered that my SIL's birthday was just around the corner and it would make a perfect little gift for her. So I headed on over to the fabric store and purchased myself some cute fabric and got busy putting my little project together. I finally finished it last Wednesday night and I just love it! Just before wrapping it up, I took some pictures so that I could share them with all of you!

So here goes my version of  'Hang Your Heart on Garland' or 'Kathleen's Hearts', as I call them:

DSC_0070

DSC_0112

DSC_0074

DSC_0096

DSC_0071

DSC_0109

Then it was time to wrap them up all pretty! I decided to go with the Valentine's theme and wrapped them in red and pink! Instead of buying a card at the store, I decided to make her birthday card with scrapbook paper I had at home and I had such a fun time doing it! I think I may have to do this from now on!

DSC_0117

DSC_0118

DSC_0121

 I usually always just use a gift bag so it was kinda fun to actually wrap a present for once! haha!

Then since we were having a little problem with our kitty being a little sick, we were a tad late to the party but once we got there, it was a fun time! Here is the birthday girl and Evan. I thought this picture turned out cute since Evan was smiling and all! Well actually, if we're being honest, I had to coax him by saying "Show me your teeth!" and this is what I got! haha!

DSC_0133

Being the consistent person that she is, my MIL got her 'group picture'. At basically all family gatherings, she loves to get a picture with everyone who was there. It's kinda nice though to be able to look back and remember who was where for when.

From left to right:
Mark (Kathleen's husband), Kathleen, Marsha (my MIL), Evan, Uncle Mark, Me and Ben.

DSC_0144
Kathleen received a few bouquets of flowers and I took a few pictures of them. I was a little bummed though when after these shots were taken, my camera died and I had to start using my point and shoot. But at least I still got pictures!

DSC_0137

DSC_0141

For dessert Marsha bought two different kinds of cakes as some of us have different likes and dislikes when it comes to cake. I must have had my head in the snow because I've never had a problem with cake! haha!

She got a chocolate cake and San Jose's famous Burnt Almond cake from Peter's Bakery!

DSC_0147

IMG_0217

The birthday girl with her Burnt Almond cake:

IMG_0218

Then it was time for presents! I couldn't wait for her to open the gift we got her!

Here is Evan helping out Auntie with her tissue paper! He did a great job!

IMG_0246

Kathleen had created an online 'wish list' with Amazon so we got her a few 'Beatles' CD's that she had been wanting.

IMG_0274

And this it was time for THE present! Yay!

IMG_0277

IMG_0279

Yay!

IMG_0285

Here we are taking a picture with the hearts!

IMG_0291

Me being all proud! Hey...it was my first major sewing project! haha!

IMG_0293

It was a nice evening and we stayed until really late! It was nice to get to visit with Uncle Mark and celebrate Kathleen's 29th year!

Happy Birthday Kathleen!

IMG_0230

8 comments:

  1. Ohhh, it looks like you had so much fun! And, wow, that garland is amazing! Family gatherings are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a really fun day! I love your project that you did! That was adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the heart garland. So glad you had a great time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a great post and what a nice time. That heart cake is so cute. You did a great job on the garland and should be proud. I love it. YOu are very crafty and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, forget the garland, forget the beautiful sister, forget the beautiful child, forget the beautiful family...BURNT ALMOND CAKE!!!!! Yum. No wonder I'm fat. Darn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU are so talented. I'm so jealous! I really want a sewing machine...any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the hearts!!! Those are awesome, you are super talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your heart project turned out amazing! I love the little monogramming you did on one of the hearts that had Mark and Kathleen's initials! That was really special!

    Love the pic of Evan showing you his teeth too!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Be sure to let me know you stopped by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin