At the end of January my hubby and I decided that we were going to move out of our condo sometime within the next few months. While at first it was exciting to think of looking for a new house, one with more room, more bedrooms, a garage, a YARD, I'm increasingly having a hard time with the thought of actually leaving.
Before we bought our condo, we lived in a one bedroom apartment for 3 years. It was my first time living on my own for longer than like a second so it was exciting to make my own home. When it came time to move, I was excited about our new place but I was so sad about the thought of leaving our apartment. Now, you might be thinking, "An apartment? You were sad about leaving an apartment?" And my response to that would be "Yes, I was sad about leaving an apartment." I get very sentimental and attached to things. I mean VERY. So on our last day there, I tried all day to keep it together. I didn't want anyone, even my hubby, to see me crying. I felt embarrassed that I felt that way. But then as we closed the door and walked down the stairs, my dad was standing at the bottom of them and as soon as I met him there, I lost it. I just bawled. I cried all the way to our condo.
All.the.way.
But then of course, I got over it. Within days, I felt better and I was enjoying setting up our new home. We actually had two bedrooms AND two full bathrooms! It was so cool. And then, 19 months later, Evan arrived. I carefully planned out his room. The colors, the theme, everything down to the clock that sits on his armoire. I would sit in his rocker imagining him there. Me holding him, singing to him and staring at his beautiful face. I couldn't wait. It seemed like an eternity just for him to enter our lives. And then the day came and it was all I hoped it would be. I just couldn't believe he was here and he was ours. Ours!
We've spent a lot of time in his room. It still looks very much the way it did the day we brought him home. Granted, there are more, lots more, toys and clothes, but the theme is still the same. So you can imagine the thought of us actually leaving that room, pains me so much. I don't want to think about it. It's too painful. I've done a good job at putting it to the back of my mind but there are times it creeps in and I can't hold it in. It happened one night last week after everyone was in bed and it's happening today.
Yes, I know there could be way worse things happening in my life. But the sentimental gal inside me is hurting so much, well at least today she is.
Here are a few pics of his room as we were putting it together and then there are pics of it now. Boy am I going to lose it on our last day here. I may just have a heart attack (okay, I won't have a heart attack but my heart will sure ache like one.)
The first few were taken with a very old point and shoot, so please pardon the ugliness!
This is me painting the top portion of the walls yellow. My dad installed a chair rail high up on the wall and he did a fabulous job! I didn't want to go with the usual blue color for the nursery, so I chose green and yellow. I saw this adorable bumble bee bedding set and I was hooked! The entire theme of the room was bumble bees! (And I know you're not supposed to paint while pregnant, but you know, if want something done right, you've just got to do it yourself!)

Before anything was hung on the walls, you can still see the blue painters tape on the ceiling:

No changing table pad yet, just a place to store some goodies!

Same area, but now it's got all the goodies from the shower and some things are finally on the wall! The giant bee balloons were from the shower too!

The crib all ready to go!

The rocking chair that I barely used! It was cute though!

And this is how it looks today:



On the small wall, I made up a little 'learning center'. I put up some colored shapes and wrote what they were on the front, big/small, round/triangle, red/orange.

Can't you see why it will be so hard to leave it? Special memories were made in there and I will hold onto them forever.





















That room is adorable! I can see why it would be hard to leave.
ReplyDeleteI totally understand how you feel. I cried like a baby when I got married and got to move into a home of my own! And then, three years later when we went to move in with my mom and rented our house out, I cried when I had to leave that house too. Especially after the love we put into Alyssa's nursery and just knowing that was the first "real" home.
ReplyDeleteIt will definitely be hard to say goodbye but on the bright side, you'll be able to make some new memories in a new place which will be awesome!
the house we live in is the house my husband grew up in. and his dad before him. so it holds a TON of memories. even more so the fact that his dad is gone. we talk about building our own house on our land some day...but i doubt it will happen. (mainly because unless we win the lottery we couldn't) because too, the memories it holds. but we also have to try to remember it is "just" a house. ((but that's hard to do)) i totally get where you're coming from!!
ReplyDeleteoops. i forgot to say how i love the way you have his room all decorated. it's so cute!
ReplyDeleteAwww, I get really attached to things too. We are in the very beginning stages of thinking about building a house, and already I'm getting sad about moving out of this one. It's not that this house is great {trust me, things are falling apart everywhere!}, but this was our first real house that we bought. This is where we moved in with our two little girls. This is where we brought our third little girl home from the hospital. Yeah. Memories. Thanks, now I have tears :)
ReplyDeleteThis blog makes me cry. I didn't even realize til now that you would be leaving that room behind :( There is definitely a piece of my heart in that room too. I took that picture of you when we were painting his room. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago that you and I were getting that room ready for our favorite little guy...and now I sneek into his room while he sleeps and he looks soooo big. I totally understand what your saying. I am always here for you sis so if you need anything so hesitate...I'll be there in a flash!! I love you!!
ReplyDeleteThat is a precious room!! I can understand being sentimental about it. I am the opposite, I guess. I was so ready to leave every place we've moved from. We lived in an apt when we first married. Then Madison came and we moved into Morgan's house he grew up in....his mom moved out and rented it to us. I was so excited to leave it for our first house we bought. Then, we lived in an apt while our new house was being built. I do miss that apt. b/c it was the last place we lived before my mom died. I was excited to move into our new house though. We've thought about selling it, but I just don't think I could stand to see someone else living in it. I would definitely be like you and be very sad! But, just remember that if God opens that door, it's because He has something new planned for you!
ReplyDeleteThat's an adorable room.
ReplyDelete