Wednesday, September 2, 2009

okay....here's the thing...

During the past 12+ years that my husband and I have been an item, he has always had a hobby. His hobby has been and always will be electronics or more specifically, video games or anything computer related. He has tried time and time again to get me on board and at times it has worked. The only problem was, they were always very short lived and there I was complaining that he was always doing something electronic and I was...well, just sitting there. With no hobby of my own. So,I thought and thought of what it was that would grab my interest but nothing ever came. I just started to accept the fact that I a hobby-less person and I was actually okay with it. Until now.

Since becoming a stay.at.home wife and mommy, I have had the wonderful opportunity to find several things that I enjoy. And the funny thing is, now that I've found them, my husband laughs and tells me I'm on the computer more than he is now! Go figure!

So the problem I'm facing now is, which one do I really want to run with and start a home based business with? One day I'll totally be into one and think, "Man, this is what I want to do!" and the next day, it's one of the others. The reason being, they are all so interesting to me and I know I'd have fun with any one of them, but I just can't decide which one to go with. Maybe you wonderful readers could shed some light on this and give me your opinions. Here goes....

1. Photography:
As I've mentioned before, I received an awesome new camera in June and I've had a wonderful time snapping photos and editing them in Photoshop. I've come across some awesome photography blogs and found some cool things, like actions for Photoshop. One of the ones I found is called "Totally Rad Action Mix". They have such fun stuff! I love playing around with their actions and creating "recipes". My photos have begun to "pop" and show some character. I've been loving it. If you remember this post, I was honored to be asked to take the engagement pictures of my sister and her fiance. This was a very fun experience for me and I'd love to do this for a living. I'd love to take photos of babies, children, couples, families and maybe even a wedding someday. But then another one of my interests pops into my head and I'm suddenly not sure what to do.

2. Web design:
Remember this post? I was very serious when I wrote it but now I'm cautious. A comment from a reader brought to my attention how hard this field can be in get into so I started to second guess my idea. I love learning about HTML and CSS code. I can sit for hours and analyze it trying to figure out what it means and does. I'll compare the code from my blog to ones of others and play around with different effects. It's really fun to me. But I'm still very new to it so I'm not sure if anyone would hire me to design their blog.

3. Sewing:
At the beginning of the summer, I completed my very first sewing project which was a reversible diaper bag. I had so much fun learning and hanging out with my mother.in.law. This brought the idea of making and selling things. I love fun big bold fabric patterns and pairing them with smaller more muted ones. But again, I'm still very new to sewing and I worried about screwing something up and creating unhappy customers.

4. Floral arrangements:
Since my sister is getting married this month, we practiced last month on how we wanted to arrange her bridal bouquet. This was so much fun! As I was doing it, I thought to myself, "This would be such a fun business to run. Putting flower arrangements together for weddings and seeing the faces of the customers as they see what I've created for them." But again, I worry about messing it up and ruining someones wedding day.

5. Party favors:
As you know, my sister and I put together the favors for her bridal shower this past Saturday and I think they turned out awesome. I also had a super fun time putting them together that I thought that this too would be a fun home based business.

You see....I have so many ideas and things that I enjoy doing that I can't figure out what in the world I want to do. I'd really like to start making money from home and I know that any one of these would do but I can't decide!!

What are your thoughts? Any tips, suggestions?

Why oh why do I have to enjoy doing everything now?

1 comment:

  1. I know where you're coming from - I did a lot of DIY for the wedding and kept thinking, eh, I could do this. Really, the only thing that stopped me is because I'm already too busy...

    I say, don't limit yourself. You could totally lump flowers, photography and favors together as "Event Services" tack on the web design and you've got "Event and Design Services". At this point, you're still developing your expertise - maybe if you continue to persue all of them you'll end up figuring out your nitch.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Be sure to let me know you stopped by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin